what palm to use for LR shooting

jacack

what palm are you guys using? I am in the market and have never used one before,I plan to use the nightforce software. also where is the best place to get one?

thanks
Jared

Just about any Palm will run the NightForce software, which by the way, is the same software as Exbal. You can get either software package in Palm or PPC/Windows based applications.

I use a Palm Zire for Exbal as well as a Dell Axim x30 for Loadbase. Just note that some of the lower priced Palms will lose the data and software if you allow the battery to go completely dead. There are models of Palms that don't do this.

Probably the cheapest place to get a Palm or PPC is on Ebay.

the Palm version loses some functions compared to the Pocket PC version.

I've ran exbal on at least 5 different Palms and never had a problem with any function.

I prefer the Palm Tungsten E2 but I have used many cheaper ones with success.

I'm finally going to try exbal after all the good talk about it. I just purchased a palm pilot m125 and ordered exbal for the palm. Has anyone used this? and with what success. The reason I chose this model was, for one it was $20 with shipping and it runs off of 2 aaa batteries. Just in case the battery gets low in the field I change them out rather than re-charge. Come hunting season I'm at our cabin for 3 weeks with no electricity.

Kevin the only thing to look out for when using an older Palm would be the memory. If it doesn't have non-volatile memory and your batteries go dead you'll have to reinstall the NF program and you'll loose all of the information you had in it.

The one you have should work fine just remember to keep an eye on the batteries and replace them in the correct order.

I had the nightforce Palm version,and loaded it on an older Palm version.The battery went dead,and I lost the whole program,and it would not reload,because it is a one time deal.I called Nightforce to see if they would send me another disc,but they would not,they said it is a one time deal to prevent people from buying it and selling to other people after they load it on their's. So I lost about $80 on that little lesson.From now on,I will only use it on a PC or PPC.

If the safety device is coded into the palm software wouldn't it be in the PPC version also. Computers never crash? Has anybody had experience installing software multiple times with this software(ppc) and if so what version. This sounds more like a marketing ploy than a safety device to hinder selling of software for somebody else to install.

Brent

Last edited:
It's my understanding that the NF software is the same thing as Exbal but with the NF logo.

I've messed up a couple of times and let my Palm battery die and had no trouble at all reloading Exbal so I don't know what the deal is with NF software.

I asked Gerald about it and posed the question new software and ppc or new palm device? We will see what he has to say. I have version 5.5 in NF and it wouldn't load on an old palm(Vx) with vista as my OS. I got the pointer from here about the USB and cable not being compatible with vista. Gerald replied that they weren't compatible either.

I think somebody should sell them already installed for us computer idiots. In 1995 when I finished college I tutored C++, Visual Basic, ADA and many Math courses. Now I can't even install software on a hand held device. My how things change. Except for Calculus that is why I love Math!!

and it would not reload,because it is a one time deal.

I'm not sure about the newest version but this is simply not the case with the older NF exbal. I made a burned hard copy backup and that loads just fine. On my oldest Palm I'd loose the program every few weeks and never had any install problems.

I also have a copy on a thumb drive that is attached to my key chain and that loads just fine as well.

The thing I like about the Palm Pilots is that you can turn the power at any screen (like target engagement) and when you need it you just to turn it on and its right there, which is instant I might add. I can't say the same thing for PP's. The only experience I have had was with Load Base and it took forever to start up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.