What pack are you using?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what backpack or bug out bag you are using and why? I want something with a rifle scarab/holder for backpacking and hunting in Alaska. Primarily hunting Moose and Bear. How big of a pack are you using and what essentials are you putting in them.
I use a Belgian military ruck sack! They are comfortable which is first most, and when I go out I usually go for about 7-12 days depending on my work schedule. The pack fits everything I need to include a huge water bladder and a small tent. Something that might help before buying a pack is to make a packing list that will last you the amount of days intended to be off grid and see how many liters of a bag you would need to fit all your supply's. Next step go try on X-liter bags and see what's comfy

Not a professional however, I hope this kind of helps

Respectfully
GKshootsXX

I use a macpac Cascade, 75litre. Robust and hard wearing, it's a single compartment and top loading with a ton of space for all my gear. I really hate crap hanging of my backpac.

Most dudes in Alaska hunting moose n bear usually use a barney's pack...those are giant quarters on moose and a big bear hide and head!!!...well that's a humongous load! So I'd lean towards a Barney's to try on first.
In MT I like my exo 5500...version 2. First one had fabric that squeaked after a few years, they sent me a whole new pack. Been very pleased. I have tried on Stone glacier packs also and I'd love to have one to test. And a kifaru...never tried one hear good things about em. No matter what pack ya get..make sure you get the fit dialed! I mean it! Watch some videos and put in some time trying things at least.
So any of these packs won't suck:
Mystery ranch
Kuiu pro
Stone glacier
Exo
Seek outside
Hill people gear
Kifaru
Barney for heavy moose work.
Fyi...I use a 5500 from day hunts for turkey to week long pack trips. I don't wish I had anything smaller. Its just a few oz of extra fabric when I'm loaded light. But when I tip I horse sized backcountry muley, I'm sure glad I can fit my puffy, spotter tripod lunches, water everything else, and still fit a whole boned out deer in the load shelf...head on top. 120# plus loads the pack has handled them just fine.

Mystery Ranch beartooth 80 for long trips, a mule bag for day hunts.

Helped pack out my buddies 6pt bull yesterday. Boned out, we got it all out in one trip. 4.5 miles of pure hell lol. Guessing each pack was around 100lbs (probably a shade heavier)

Blacks creek statement
Outdoorsman long range

Both have worked extremely well for me, the Blacks Creek is very adjustable due to its modular design, I've used it as a day pack and up to a 7 day back pack hunt.

The Outdoorsman is an amazing value for an American made pack and carries heavy loads very comfortably. (I prefer the long range pack out of all there packs)

I run the stone glacier sky 5100 and my buddies run the exo packs both great choices. You can shrink or expand the packs for any occasion. Pictures from our 5 day Washington high hunt.

Attachments

• 6C1C691E-81ED-4CFC-9CC8-FE00E119745C.jpeg
    6C1C691E-81ED-4CFC-9CC8-FE00E119745C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
  • C1236B14-8149-42B6-805C-77597D8B2573.jpeg
    C1236B14-8149-42B6-805C-77597D8B2573.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
Hunting Kuiu Pro 4000. Normal day hunting stuff, jacket, water, lunch, knifes, saw, extra batteries, para cord etc. Easily pack enough for 2-3 days including two man (actually 1) tent inside it and more if you put on outside. No rifle scabbard and can easily strap to the side or back. I tried several types (EXO, Mystery Ranch, Sika, Eberle, Cabelas) and this one fit the best and was most comfortable. Son got the 3500 bag and I would skip the 4000 for the 3500. 3500 has heavier ripstop and more water proof. The 3500 has better pocket lay out for a day to 2-3 day pack for me.