What pack are you using?

So I really like my CamelBak Urban Assault XL. It has great organization, a suspended pocket for you laptop, a large main compartment for textbooks. It also has a large external pocket between the main pocket and admin pouch that is expandable so to speak and has compression straps. It's great if you have a hoodie or jacket or something and need a place to carry it. It runs in the $175 range.

Now if you want to go cheaper. One of the GoRuck SD series bags would be sturdy enough for everything. Though you'd need a sleeve for your laptop and a small admin pouch to put pens, etc. in. The SD series doesn't have all the MOLLE. Either bag will blend, I carry the CamelBak in a professional environment. Both are your classic black bags. The CamelBak has shoulder straps that adjust with your size and movement.

So I really like my CamelBak Urban Assault XL. It has great organization, a suspended pocket for you laptop, a large main compartment for textbooks. It also has a large external pocket between the main pocket and admin pouch that is expandable so to speak and has compression straps. It's great if you have a hoodie or jacket or something and need a place to carry it. It runs in the $175 range.

Now if you want to go cheaper. One of the GoRuck SD series bags would be sturdy enough for everything. Though you'd need a sleeve for your laptop and a small admin pouch to put pens, etc. in. The SD series doesn't have all the MOLLE. Either bag will blend, I carry the CamelBak in a professional environment. Both are your classic black bags. The CamelBak has shoulder straps that adjust with your size and movement.
This is a backpack hunting thread. Are you using this pack for hunting?

I love the KUIU Icon Pro. I have the 7800 bag and it straps in nicely to use as a daypack as well. They are very adjustable for fit and they have different frames to choose from for the taller and shorter folks. Bags are easy to switch out, and to haul meat you can change the bag attachment and put your game bags external to bag, but against the frame to keep that weight where it should be. It has a ton of strapping options to keep your load distributed how you want it. It also has great, accessable organization. There are a few options for strapping your rifle and bow.

I've packed out several animals with my ArcTeryx Bora 80 pack that I've owned for over 20+ years. Game bags and judicious use of the daisy chains and lashings and I've had little problems.

I've backpacked well over 1,000 miles with that pack- it is the most comfortable pack I've owned. I can always figure out how to finagle a load as needed.

Last edited:
I got a new pack from desert mountain outdoors for Father's Day that is worth a mention. I thought I had tried everything but out of the blue this gem is handed to me. It is highly adjustable and once it was custom fitted to me I have to say is the real deal (important that it is adjusting for each individual per physical measurements). Pack is mounted to a carbon fiber frame that is light and fits the contour of my back well; does not move around and create hot spots. The carbon fiber frame extends from the top to the bottom of the pack to completely shied my back from anything stored in the pack that would create a pressure point. Weight distributes very well and feels comfortable. This looks and feels well thought-out. Meat can be placed in a game bag or water proof pillow case and strapped between the frame and pack; preserving the original pack storage area. Mine came with a rifle scabbard

I use the eberlestock gunslinger II

Its heavy at like 6lbs, but its tough, strong, protects your rifle, and has enough space and ability for molle attachments that can comfortably supply you for up to 4 days.
Man, I leaned the hard way that a pack that's lightweight means nothing if it doesn't fit you right or carry a load they way you like it. I'm willing to sacrifice more weight for comfort and durability.

I use an Osprey Xenith 88. More of a through hike / backpacking setup but its light, has plenty of storage, super comfortable and carries the weight really well.

Hey guys,

I was wondering what backpack or bug out bag you are using and why? I want something with a rifle scarab/holder for backpacking and hunting in Alaska. Primarily hunting Moose and Bear. How big of a pack are you using and what essentials are you putting in them.
I have been using one for over1o years now and love the gunsling make a good 3 day pack and is always loaded and ready to go be for that 90s I use the Eagle Becker 3 day pack but for the money the gunslinger is the way to go. it will take anything you do for 12 years worth of Alaskan hunting all most year around boats, rafting, big and small planes, horses, wheelers ect it is still going strong

I just upgraded to a mystery ranch bear tooth 80 (5100 ci.). Compared to my 3200 blacks creek, I feel like I can stay a long time with the amount of gear I can fit. Yet to be tested though because this is my first year with it. With the 3200, over 4 days was pretty tight. Kifaru and MR make various rifle slings with quick detach that I might try out. It's not a scabbard but it'll keep the rifle secure.

2A50E50A-E54E-41C6-A724-634867F4194C.jpeg