What pack are you using?

I should add, if you pack out an animal, go with water bottles and not a bladder system. I love a bladder system for hiking and day to day hunting. I was able to ditch extra weight last fall and go in with full water bladder and light gear to recover an animal.

We got to the critter. Once I strapped things up I realized my back was wet. It popped the bladder. I stopped it down tight and didn't consider popping the bladder when I synched it down. Luckily my hunting partner had nalgenes and we had water for the long hike out.

If someone has advice on this, please share.
We drink from our Bladders, on the way IN to our Spike camp, area. We carry, 2 Arizona Tea, Plastic Jugs and use a Filter to refill at, a Spring or fairly clean, Water source. Then fill Nalgene Bottles with, this water and we usually have, very little Water in Bladder when Hunting.
Hope this, help's ! Yes, a full Bladder can be, crushed !

We drink from our Bladders, on the way IN to our Spike camp, area. We carry, 2 Arizona Tea, Plastic Jugs and use a Filter to refill at, a Spring or fairly clean, Water source. Then fill Nalgene Bottles with, this water and we usually have, very little Water in Bladder when Hunting.
Hope this, help's ! Yes, a full Bladder can be, crushed !
I always have an empty Nalgene. I pack some of my survival and first aid odds/ends in it for just this reason, bladders can leak and that way if I get in a bind I can capture water.

It just didn't occur to me when packing out an animal that when I strap things tight this was a risk. Lesson learned. Luckily my brother in law had 2 nalgenes full so we were okay. Could have been worse, fortunately was not.

next year I will switch to a smaller bladder and 1 or 2 full nalgenes, depending on water sources and distance we are going in. The bladder is great when hiking and still see myself using one, but not relying on it as much.

I have a Horn Hunter Main Beam XL. Don't overlook these. More budget friendly and durable.

I packed out an animal with mine last year. A hose off, and still in great shape.

I am sure others are great packs too, but the Horn Hunter are worth a look.
I tried a Horn Hunter straight six last year, lasted 6 hrs. Pack with gear weighted 12 pounds, fell apart.

Kifaru is most comfortable do it all pack I've found. But to be completely fair it's the first higher end pack I've tried. Exo looks nice too I think any the higher end packs you can make fit your body can't go wrong with. For me I have always used a day pack then packed out to get a pack board. Now I always have options to pack more meat then I can possibly take with me without a wasted trip. I'm running the 44 mag

For your rifle the Kifaru gunbearer is hard to beat. You can attach one to most packs.
For packs, how the belt and frame interface is the most important factor. If the pack doesn't transfer the weight to your pelvis/hips (vs your shoulders) the rest doesn't matter. Pretty much all of the "high end" packs do this. The other details are up to personal preference (weight, organization, etc).

For your rifle the Kifaru gunbearer is hard to beat. You can attach one to most packs.
For packs, how the belt and frame interface is the most important factor. If the pack doesn't transfer the weight to your pelvis/hips (vs your shoulders) the rest doesn't matter. Pretty much all of the "high end" packs do this. The other details are up to personal preference (weight, organization, etc).
Additionally, for truly wet climates (Southeast AK), a pack frame/load hauler with a big drybag for your stuff is one of the few ways to actually have dry clothes to put on. "Waterproof" fabrics just don't cut it sometimes.

Kifaru. I used a Kifaru DT2 on my moose/ caribou hunt and it worked great. I couldn't imagine trying to put a moose quarter on any of the other packs I have used and trying to carry it any distance at all.

Just make sure if you use the Kifaru buy a Grab- it and straps to secure the meat. My buddy didn't have a Grab- it and it took a little longer to secure the quarters.

Check out the Mystery Ranch Pop Up packs. I have the 28 as most of my hunting is done with a day pack. I use the meat shelf has a gun holster/ Heavy jacket/ climber, etc... and it can hold way more than I need for a day pack.

Kifaru 28" duplex frame and currently have a Muskeg 7000. Also have a Mountain Warrior but it was too small to hold all my food for my longer backpack hunts, so upgraded last year to a Muskeg. Love it. Waterproof so I don't have to carry a rain slicker anymore, and it folds up smaller than mountain warrior when it's not full.

The durability of Kifaru packs is unbelievably good.

Kifaru 28" duplex frame and currently have a Muskeg 7000. Also have a Mountain Warrior but it was too small to hold all my food for my longer backpack hunts, so upgraded last year to a Muskeg. Love it. Waterproof so I don't have to carry a rain slicker anymore, and it folds up smaller than mountain warrior when it's not full.

The durability of Kifaru packs is unbelievably good.
Are you using the tactical or light frame and if you don't mind how tall are you?

Are you using the tactical or light frame and if you don't mind how tall are you?
I have the duplex. They only make the 28" frame in the original duplex and tactical styles, not duplex light. I don't remember the details of the difference between duplex and tactical, I think the tactical just has more attachment points, possibly a thicker frame sheet, and a few ounces heavier.

I'm 6ft 4.5", 220 lbs and unfortunately have classic narrow white guy hips (33-34" size M Kifaru belt) so a heavy pack sags when it's loaded heavy. Most people in the 6'2" to 6'5" range fit within a 26" frame just fine, and in full disclosure, I used a 26" frame for years until found out I have messed up discs in my neck. So where I used to carry some load on my shoulders as the 26" frame sagged on my hips, I now can hold 100% of the load on my hips even with very heavy loads with the 28".