What method do you use wneh shoosing a powder?

I use the LoadbooksUSA caliber specific reloading books to have several bullet and powder manufacturers to compare. As already mentioned, I look for top velocities and avoid overly compressed loads, IMO >103% or so. As to other factors like temp stability, I just made a decision on which Alliant Reloader powder to use for a wide range from 270win to 300WSM, based on helpful feedback from this forum. I believe I'll go with RE-19.

I never go by what anyone else says to use. I only read what others say and choose only what's in approved load data. I go by velocity and case capacity. If you use ADG brass, you'll need yo reduce load by 10%. I may purchase all the powders listed and try different types with different brass, primers, bullets. This is why I love loading. I can change anything I want unlike factory crap!

some great info here a;ready, here's my little ritual:

1. Look at a number of manuals to include the one for the bullet I'm using--great when a couple of manuals list the same powder(s) most accurate/best hunting loads, etc.
2. I also do online research (manufacturers info, not the bro net) and computer programs; Quick Load and Load From a Disk--looking for safe pressure loads with complete powder burn and highest efficiency coefficients
3. Pick powder that gives highest velocity at about 92-95% loading density
4. I don't use compressed loads--interferes with bullet seating, powder distribution and neck tension
5. Given two powders very close in performance I like to pick Alliant RL series
6. Occasionally that does not work, so then its back to the drawing board using similar process featuring the alternate candidates
7. Then occasionally, I go a little rogue based on something I've read or learned or witnessed at the range...or my gut. Case in point, I was having good luck with I-4350 and 300gr Barnes TSX in my .375 H&H--shooting good but kind of slow. My thought was maybe I could use a bit faster burning powder since the volume of that boar and desire to go faster might require that. So I tested some I-4064 (which wasn't even in a couple of the books); starting slow and working up and at 2510 fps the load went "smooth" (kinetic feedback I sometimes sense; old guy zen thing) and shot sub MOA...so no formula works 100% all the time. BTW it resulted in a one shot kill on Cape Buffalo in South Africa:)!

So when you guys are choosing a powder for a new cartridge what criteria do you use when making your choice?

Do you search the net for what others are having luck with?

Do you look at a reloading manual and choose just what ever you have on hand? Then choose by powder weight vs fps?

Do you look at a reloading manual and choose the one the uses the least/middle/most powder to give a specific fps. IE choose the powder that has the most/least case capacity?

Do you just blindly throw a dart at your pile of powder and see where it lands?

Darrell
*BUL* okay here is what I do, darts aside and my glasses on; I work through 8 reloading manuals, 4 websites and start with pressures, velocities, case fill percentage, availability of powder all year round, and can I get it in 8# kegs right now. and one big factor.. Do I have it on hand right now? not all have to be yes, just trying to keep options as wide open as possible. I also have to take into consideration the game, the slugs, and the terrain I will be using this cartridge in.
My latest and hopefully my last time I ever have to do this has been with my newly acquired 300 RUM. I was supposed to go out and test fire it today but life happened and I could not make it to the range today. I have never had good luck with the Alliant Reloader line but I tested out RL25 in the cases and wanted to see if they were going to be accurate in my rifle. the powder was moderate on the pressures, it had good top 3 velocity potential, and was relatively stable from what people keep saying here. also I could not find anyone that stated anything bad about RL-25 for this cartridge. so I bought one pound of it and loaded up 20 various loads from 180 grain to 200 grain slugs. I also have on the list of powders for this cartridge that include: Retumbo (not accessible right now), IMR 7977 (a bit quick for this), IMR 8133 (nearly identical burn as Retumbo but not in stock at my supplier at the time of order). if I can not find a good powder for this gun/cartridge combo.. this gun goes up for sale and I put the money into my 270 WSM which also takes a few of the same powders and I know this gun will shoot well especially after it gets rebarreled. FYI, the barrel on the rifle now is bent due to a tragic hunting accident last year. I loaned it to a friend's son whom was an idiot.. a barrel is not a jack handle. the son denies any knowledge of how the bend happened.

As a reloader, of course I look for performance, but also am practical and frugal.
With the 06 and 150-168s, using imr4064 or 4320, I can get the same velocity as 4350 and save enough powder for an extra 20 loads.
Hmm, that's an extra box per pound of powder.
Another hmm, I get case fill and all that but my groups are just as tight.
This also applies to the 270 and I can use those in the 223 with decent results

1. What temperature insensitive powder can I use. Primarily Hodgens are my go to.

2. What is most common recommended. Most calibers have 1-3 given powders that work well. Most manuals are not current and vary wildly. Good info to start with but not gospel. Your chamber changes all that.

3. What is most available. MRP is great powder but hard to get and have to order a lot to get it so do not use it much anymore. A great powder is no good if you cannot get it.

4. What will give me my 95-98% case fill with my preferred bullet.

5. What powders that fit the above do I keep on hand and use most often.

Powders can and have changed from lot to lot, buy 8 lbs IF it is a commonly used powder in 2-3 guns, such as Varget, H4350, H1000 etc. Do not buy 1 lb, work a load and then go back and try to buy more of same lot. It will be gone.

Last edited:
I have a good idea of powder burn rate and understanding what burn rate to use with what case capacity and what bullet weight etc. Most of this comes with experience and lots of experimenting and messing around. If I am starting with a cartridge I know nothing about, I first will find out what it's case capacity is. I do this by either a quick google search, or the best way, measuring the internal capacity for my myself with the brass I have on hand. Then from experience I'll select a powder in a certain range of burn rate, or just look in the manuals for the powders that give high load density, around 90-100% case fill. I look for powders that are temp stable, relatively available, and give top velocities.

I use manuals as a reference and don't follow into their most accurate loads tested and what not. I'll just reference the max charge in the books with the powders I'm interested in with the bullet weight I want to use. I'll start load development 2-3gr under the average book max and work up until i see pressure. I will set a goal for velocity with that particular cartridge and bullet weight, then work up and find my nodes. Usually I'll find a node towards the upper end of safe pressures. If I did my homework right, then I'll have high case fill, high velocity, and consistency. Sometimes certain powders just wont work for whatever reason. That's when I'll redo some testing, try different primers, or if I have another acceptable powder on hand I'll just switch to it and start over.

Last edited:
Extreme Spread. In this instance, the difference between the highest and lowest velocity. The smaller the number the more consistent your vertical dispersion on target should be.
That is what I thought, i understand ES & SD well.

Last edited:
Finally I find out what ES is.. I called it High/Low Velocity Deviation.
I should refine my post on my process of selecting powders
First I read all my manuals for powders with modest pressures for the velocity they give me. I like Hodgdon's temp insensitivity so I lean towards them.
many times the powders I choose to experiment with are either Hodgdon's or IMR. then there are the rare occasions that Winchester powders have the best over all performance. then I find those powders have been discontinued. IE Supreme 780.
I lean towards lower/modest pressure versus higher speeds.
I like to be able to order the powder any time of the year so I will look for availability of the powder.
the big bonus is if I already have that powder or have all three powders I want to experiment with.
my hierarchy of attributes:
availability over speed
modest pressure over speed
Accuracy over all out speed
if I give up 100 FPS for a 1/4 MOA group that is fine by me. (I hardly ever test at 100 yards. my norm is 300 yards)

a good projo is also key here. it has to be accurate and reliable.
after the selection of 3 powders I start working up loads. I normally start with 3/4 loads to see what pressure curves my rifle likes. when I find the best accuracy with the highest speeds, I usually stop there and that is my hunting load. I rarely push farther but sometimes I do if the speeds are lackluster. I sometimes also venture out of my comfort realm to Alliant Reloader powders. I have never had good luck with them for some reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.