What mandrels do i need

Riverguy

Have decided to switch to mandrels for loading my 28nos. Most likely will order from 21st century. Which mandrel do I need to get 4 thousandths of neck tension? Or is it easier to just purchase the whole kit and the body die?
Wondering what mandrel users have been getting the best performance from?

How did you decide on .004 neck tension? My suggestion would be to buy the set and test what neck tension your rifle likes versus a guess or just an arbitrary figure.

However, .284 - .004 = .280 and then figure some spring back of say .0005-.001 puts you around .279-.279.5. Again, this is a guess based on your brass and prep. Only testing can say what your rifle likes.

Good luck,
Steve

I called and spoke to them when i switched, their recommendation was to use the turning mandrels, which give a 2k neck tension .. and they were spot on when used. If you are looking to play with the tension, get the set… the turning was perfect for what I do.. Oh and i went with the coated Mandrels, tried it with and without dry neck lube and can see zero difference either way, so I don't use it anymore..

FYI

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Which mandrel do I need to get 4 thousandths of neck tension?
I'd get the set. I have several from 21st and really like them.

IMO it's not a one and done, there are a lot of variables at play, including how you're sizing or if you're annealing at any point. You'll likely end up needing to change over the life cycle of the brass.

Ok, thanks guys. I will just buy the set then.
Will be loading some hammers and have read where folks were getting better results with more neck tension.

I'd agree with that, in one of my rifles I went all the way to the point of using an FL die without a button in it and not opening the neck back up at all other than kissing it with the smallest mandrel possible. Shot one hole on the first group after the charge ladder, easiest load development ever. And fastest whitetail kill ever - bang, flop, dead, didn't even twitch.

.002 is plenty. I can get away with .001 for my deer rifle.
Have decided to switch to mandrels for loading my 28nos. Most likely will order from 21st century. Which mandrel do I need to get 4 thousandths of neck tension? Or is it easier to just purchase the whole kit and the body die?
Wondering what mandrel users have been getting the best performance from?
I'm guessing it's a hunting rifle ?

How did you decide on .004 neck tension? My suggestion would be to buy the set and test what neck tension your rifle likes versus a guess or just an arbitrary figure.

However, .284 - .004 = .280 and then figure some spring back of say .0005-.001 puts you around .279-.279.5. Again, this is a guess based on your brass and prep. Only testing can say what your rifle likes.

Good luck,
Steve
I see the smallest mandrel in the 7mm kit is .281. I got the same numbers you did so what am I missing here?

I wouldn't go below .001 neck tension. Depends on how much spring back you have depends on what size mandrel you order.