What makes you pick THE load...

adk hunter

I have found good or great loads as much by accident as design. I have loaded boxes of sweet rounds only to find they weren't the gold standard. Of course sometimes you pull a shot into the group so I ask, how many shots do you go by when deciding to make a larger batch for the future?

Depends on the guns purpose and how much powder in the case. Minimum 3, but usually not more than 5.

idcwby

The circumstance of what the rifle will be used for governs how many rounds I use to determine THE load.
My comp guns (3) have 10 rounds minimum fired for group for 3 sets before any conclusions are garnered.
My varmint guns have 3 5 shot groups to determine a stable powder/bullet combo once the seating depth is established.
General hunting rifles have 3 shot or 5 shot groups, then several rounds are fired at differing distances to see if the load is stable.
Seating depth tests are done first for all of my rifles, except levers and open sighted rifles like my DG guns, minute of buffalo is all that is required

Cheers.

I use a chronograph in conjunction with my groups looking for a flat spot in FPS versus charge weights or multiple low SD charge weights in a row and load to the center of that area. This is for long range shooting 1000yds+ As previously stated it depends on use of the rifle also some guns if I'm shooting 1 1/2moa I might be good with that and not even care what the SD is. I use 5 shot groups for preliminary testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts