What makes the 6.5 cm so good.

Waynard

I'm buying a savage trophy predator hunter in a 6.5 cm. So what makes this such a good rifle and caliber combo?

Savage, accurate out of the box. No trigger replacement, no having to freefloat, bed and true the action as soon as you realize it won't shoot.....
I think the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed for long high BC bullets to be seated out for optimum case capacity. Its going to be my choice in a 6.5 cal. In the near future..

I'm buying a savage trophy predator hunter in a 6.5 cm. So what makes this such a good rifle and caliber combo?

The only reason it's so popular, is because it's new, and because it's offered as a factory caliber for several rifles. It's similar to the .260 Rem in almost every way (including velocity), but the .260 was introduced in 1997, so it's "old news". :rolleyes:

As for me, I'll take a .260 or .260 AI over a 6.5 Creed any day. Especially since I have quite the surplus of .308 brass, and you can easily make .260/260 AI cases from .308 brass. It would take entirely too much work to form 6.5 Creed cases from .308. Unfortunately hardly any manufacturers still produce rifles in .260 Rem, so you pretty much have to build one from scratch if you want one, which is a shame. And several manufacturers are producing rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor, therefore since people can buy it in a cheap factory rifle, it will become more popular.

Before this turns into a ****ing contest, this is simply, my opinion... I didn't realize I would have to state that, but it has become quite apparent recently that some people don't seem to understand that people are allowed to have differing opinions than theirs.

hmmm,..More factory rifle offerings, plenty of brass manufacturers, (If not it is easily formed with cream of wheat and 22-250 brass.) a better case design for seating high BC bullets for capacity and using a mag. That's what makes it a good choice.

Or perhaps the fact that Creedmoor match ammo is actually available and at a substantially lower cost than 260.

As Mud said, they are neck & neck in performance. Availability & cost are what put the Creed' above the 260 at this point.

t

Or perhaps the fact that Creedmoor match ammo is actually available and at a substantially lower cost than 260.

As Mud said, they are neck & neck in performance. Availability & cost are what put the Creed' above the 260 at this point.

t

I'll agree with that. My opinions are slightly different than the norm since I handload everything I own (except rimfire calibers), and have a gunsmith 15 minutes away, I never look at availability of factory ammo and factory available chamberings. And since I have 3 wildcats that require forming brass, I don't even blink twice about the "having to pre-prep and fire-form brass" dilemma that some people face, it has become 2nd nature to me. So I don't really look at calibers based on factory ammo or rifle availability or caliber popularity.

I'll agree with that. My opinions are slightly different than the norm since I handload everything I own (except rimfire calibers), and have a gunsmith 15 minutes away, I never look at availability of factory ammo and factory available chamberings. And since I have 3 wildcats that require forming brass, I don't even blink twice about the "having to pre-prep and fire-form brass" dilemma that some people face, it has become 2nd nature to me. So I don't really look at calibers based on factory ammo or rifle availability or caliber popularity.

Honestly, I don't look for available factory ammo either brother. To some it's important. I will say that I was shocked at how well my Creedmoor shot the factory fodder... And at $20-something a box, I bought quite a bit of it. That's a pretty dern good cost for match ammo.

As you said, I don't let ammo availability have any factor on a new build. As long as I can buy the parent case, we're good to go!

t

The day Lapua makes 6.5 Creedmoor brass will be the day it enters the next realm of awesomeness! Until then I'll happily get 10+ loadings on my Hornady Brass and know that I have the option to buy match grade ammo if I'm ever in a pinch for some ammo.

The Creedmoor just basically brought the mild 6.5's to America's attention. It doesn't do anything ballistically that the 260 or the 6.5x55 Swede can't do. It was however, marketed brilliantly and match grade ammo at great prices really turned some heads. My stable will always have a Creedmoor in it now just because I've fallen in love with it over the last 4 years I've owned rifle(s) chambered for it.

It's just like the 260 rem and the 6.5x55 very accurate and light recoil.

I really wish Hornady had done something new. The same length case with the rebated rim of the 6.5x284 maybe the use of the small rifle primer of the 6.5x47 Lapua. Now I think that would be stellar in a short action. I am going to keep my 260 rem's and save my buttons for the 6.5SAUM.

Other than that it has been marketed very well and of course shoots 140 AMAX factory ammo like a champ just like the 6.5x55 or 260 rem would if Hornady made it.

I was surprised it wasn't among the new offerings of brass from Lapua this year 7mm08 and 8x57 definitely not giving up on 6.5x55 in europe.

Good luck with your new rifle and shoot straight

Bob

I have a .260, I handload, and factory availability is always a factor. Not the only one, but something to consider.

What made my choice, was a rifle I liked appearing on a local shelf. If it had been a Creedmoor I'd have bought it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.