What makes me Mike

D

Deleted member 107160

Greetings all,
I am Old fashioned, native Coloradoan, married 37 years, we live on 640 acres in northwest Colorado,(7000 ft. Ele.).
I am a hunter, fisherman, I reload my own ammunition, I Host 3 hunters every other year on our property for lodging & trespass deer and elk hunting for a week. I service and repair my own guns, and hunt & process our own meat. We have a dog and three horses, and a wild turkey that adopted us. We like living here, but need to downsize, and escape the blunt of the draught, so it is either Alaska, or Oregon bound.
Glad to join this blog,
Thanks

It's time to downsize, retire on an acre of two, instead
Of 640 acres, and the work it takes to keep it all going, heck, my mowing area in my yard is 5.5 acres,
And all that has to be trimmed with the weed wacker.
My wife is tired of feeding horses in sub zero, and I cant due to back and arthritis. Also, want to move to a pine forest area.
Mostly we just want a smaller place to get old in.

We are looking at places in western montana, and central oregon.

Might just take a long look at Arizona too. My situation is very similar to yours...married 53 years, live at 7000' in New Mexico with more land than we need. Getting too much to keep up with.

If serious about central Oregon...look into Lapine, Gilchrist area...south of Bend and Sunriver Resort...lots of high cascade lakes for fishing...easy access to healthcare in Bend or Eugene(couple hours away)which is always a good thing)....or look north of Bend there is a place with ranchettes...Crooked River Ranch I think is the community....that just two hours from Eugene on a different route through Sisters.....all along Hwy 97 is nice..but more trees to the south....

We are looking at places in western montana, and central oregon.
I live near Shepherd MT, 20 ac. Wish I could afford more land were I could have my own place to hunt. But the way thinks look that's out of reach for the average working man, especially when the banks want you to at lest half down.

Mike and wbm I have been living the down sizing ya'll are considering. Every day I wish I had bought more land. I too have severe arthritis and could not take care of a big place the way I would want to. However, I now realize who cares if you only mow half an acre instead of five and to heck with that weed eater. Who needs horses any more? I know you love them. O K keep two instead of ten. At 55 you have a lot of days left. Make sure you are going to be happy with noise, neighbors, and congestion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.