What magnification is used for hunting???

bighornbob

I have narrowed my scope choices down to a 60mm to 65mm objective for backpacking reasons. With this objective size does anyone use 45 to 60 power magnification while spotting animals in the mountains. I have found anything above 40 to 45 power is not used often due to atmospheric/weather conditions. My scope choices are a non-ED glass due to cost and I have heard the HD/ED glass has less color fringing and is more noticable at the higher magnifications. I have decided on Kowa or Zeiss. Doug @ Camerland has a great deal on the Zeiss. I have packed on sheep hunts my Swarovski CT-85 with 20x65 and never used any power over 40 due to size of that scope and the need for a superior tripod. I am very interested in you input to finalize my decision. Living here in the Midwest I do not get much of a chance to evaluate premier spotting scopes in the field.

I went with the 20-60x65 Swaro over the Zeiss due to the fact that I like you am a backpacker and wanted a smaller 65mm scope for this purpose. The problem with the Zeiss is that in 60-65mm you can only get 45x and I wanted 60x. Sure at mid-day, 60 doesnt work well due to mirage ect....But first thing in the morning when I am sizing up most of the critters I am after for legal status and/or trophy quality, lighting and mirage isnt a problem. I have twice been able to count growth rings on rams in the morning light. One was at 600+ yards and the other was nearly 800 yards. I have also been able to size up trophy quality on coues deer in the morning light as well with good results. At mid-day, I seldom use 60x but even then, it still amazes me. Evenings are good too, but morning light seems a bit better.

Michael,

You hit the nail on the head the Zeiss stops at 45 power. Ideally I want the ats-65. I like the shape and the ease of packing this scope. Has anyone compared the TSN-661 to the Swarovski 65? It is hard to judge a product on a bunch of opinions by bloggers and salesmen. When living in Colorado it was alot easier to field test individual scopes in field applications. My choice then was Swarovski and I should stick with that choice. The one thing I look at here is I will not use this scope but once or twice a year if I am lucky enough to draw western state tags. The Kowa is 1/2 the money, but will I eppreciate the savings in mountains?? I think not.

Michael,

You hit the nail on the head the Zeiss stops at 45 power. Ideally I want the ats-65. I like the shape and the ease of packing this scope. Has anyone compared the TSN-661 to the Swarovski 65? It is hard to judge a product on a bunch of opinions by bloggers and salesmen. When living in Colorado it was alot easier to field test individual scopes in field applications. My choice then was Swarovski and I should stick with that choice. The one thing I look at here is I will not use this scope but once or twice a year if I am lucky enough to draw western state tags. The Kowa is 1/2 the money, but will I eppreciate the savings in mountains?? I think not.

You hit the nail on the head with "IF" you draw any western tags. I apply each year for several species in 5 western states. I know how hard it is to draw good tags. It takes me 7-10 years each to draw the tags I am after. I wouldnt want to wait that long for a premium tag only to get there after all the years and spending all that $$ on gear and licences, travel ect..... only to hold myself back on less than the best optics. You cannot harvest what you cannot judge or find for that matter. If you can swing the extra cash for the best, go for it. If you simply cannot afford the best of the best then the choice is simple. Go with the best scope you can afford.

You will NEVER regret buying premium glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.