What magnification for new rifle????

Jumpalot

I'm having a 338 Edge built for hunting. After much deliberation, I've decided to buy a Nightforce scope. Now, what magnification? I was pretty sure that the 3.5-15 would be enough, but now I'm thinking maybe the 5.5-22. I've shot out to 700 yds. with a 4.5-14, but this new build is going to hopefully take me out past 1000yds. What do you all think??

Given the capabilities of the Edge and the fact that you hope to go beyond 1000 yards if it was me I'd go with the 5.5-22. Even though the 3.5-15 is a super scope, the additional magnification/power at the longer ranges will come in very handy.;)

What reticle are you planning on using?

I'm looking at the NP-R1. Seems a little busy though. But not sure the NP-R2 is better. Any suggestions.

I've got the NP-R2 and am getting ready to ship it back to get the NP-R1 installed. I know a lot of guys have changed to the R1 and those that have it like it.

The R2 has 2moa vertical hash marks and the R1 has 1moa vertical hash marks. You could use the R1 at 11 power and have the same spacing as the R2 at 22 power. I just think it'll be easier to spot and call my own shots more precisely and also use it for small adjustments if needed for a second shot in the field.

If you are also going to be using this rifle as a carrying gun the 5.5-22 is the ticket, but if it's strickly for long range especially if your planning on shooting well beyond 1,000 yards, the 8-32 may be more sufficient. You don't have to crank it up to 32x unless conditions allow and the extra magnification is nice to have when shooting out around 1 mile. Either way the Nightforce scopes are very good.

So I asked this question over on snipers hide. Wow what a bunch of jerks. A guy named "nobody" basically told me that if I was stupid enough to ask this question, I shouldn't own a gun. Won't be straying over there again anytime soon.
Back to subject. Any problems with heat waves and higher magnification?

guy named "nobody" basically told me that if I was stupid enough to ask this question, I shouldn't own a gun.
Just ignore him, everybody else there does. He's sort of a joke over there. He's "Big Stick" for those who used to go to 24HourCampfire.com . If it's not a 6X42 Leupold, you don't need it....

I have the NPR-2 reticle and I would not trade it..

NP-R1-22x-1.gif
NPR-255X22-1.gif

So are you guys using the lines for holdover or dialing up? Would you need a sloped base if using the lines for holdover?

Personally I dial every time, unless the correction is really small. +1 on the 5-22 NXS with 56 OBJ. I have this setup on my DE 338 and out to 1500 yards it has been outstanding. At game I wont be going any further than that. I also love the 5x bottom end just in case a shot at 100 yards turns up. You can never guarantee what range the game sticks it head out at. I have the R1. I personally dont feel you get the full benefit of owning a NXS if you dont use the turrets. IMHO ?

Good luck. Good choice on the calibre by the way !

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts