What made you interested in long range shooting?

Better down range knowledge of the 308 & 300 WW and how to put it all together, at least in my pea brain.
There have been several in this group that has helped, thank you, you know who you are.

Initially, it was the mystery of How it was actually accomplished. It just hooked me. Secondarily it was its application for hunting and shooting animals, with accuracy and precision, at greater Ranges. Soon a couple of my hunting rifles were wearing Higher Mag scopes, and the concept of Dialing MOA became the norm. The ultimate for me , so far ,was the two trips to the Bang Steel Shooting School, and shooting steel at 1000 and 1100 yards with my 270 Weatherby mag. Now a Browing X Bolt Max Long range in 7 PRC is my next rifle, for Long Range Shooting. It's really just incredible fun, once you understand the math and the science, and you have the correct Rifle/ Load/ Scope Combo. My friends think is magic, and I'm ok to let them think that. LOL!!!

Actually, by the standards of many on here…..I'm a "point blank range" hunter. I will limit my shots to a maximum of 600 yards.

Several things brought me to the point of stretching my shots to this distance:

Old age has reduced my ability to traverse the hills and thick timber as in the past

Having a rifle/cartridge/ bullet capable of longer shots

Relocating to an area that offers far more long(er) range shots than my previous hunting areas

memtb
i know what you mean and old age is catching up with me too. Kind at looking having to do longer shots.

Mainly to learn more about precision reloading and precision rifles, I have since then gotten into long range shooting but have not done any long range hunting. The longest shot I have taken in the field during my hunting career has been 337yds.

Recent Posts