What lube for chambering reamers?

bigngreen

So I've gotten all my stuff in place to start chambering, and I have the time to devote to it but that unfortunately is corresponding with a severe lack of coin so I'm unable to build the barrel flush system I was shooting for so I'm going to just do it with pulling and cleaning in appropriate increments, what kind of lube should I use?

Last edited:
You might try the Vipers Venom.

Available from Bob Pastor 269 521-3671

He post on BRC and 6mmBR websites.

I have a couple bottles of Vipers Venom from Bob and it is working great for threading so far! Also got the tooling he was showing of. Bob has been worlds of help and a great guy to talk to!!! I've about got over being nervous about chambering and am about to say screw it and go for it!!! Thanks Nat

There's a water based coolant out there called "Trim CE" that's pretty good. A gallon of the stuff would last you a life time. Just paint it on the reamer with a paint brush (don't mix it with water). I've found nothing anywhere that reams holes as accurately (really any high tool pressure loadings).
gary

Tap Magic w/EP-Xtra. $47.50/gal. at www.wttool.com Good old fashioned Dark Threading Oil works , too (less then $20/gal.).

+1

I use Ridged dark thread cutting oil for chambering and threading.

I cut from .015 to ,030 at a time depending on the size of the reamer (small reamers require more
frequent cleaning and less cutting) and clean with air and wipe the reamer clean.

I also use a high pressure lube on the pilot to keep it from marking the rifling.

For the pressure system any good water soluble oil will work.

J E CUSTOM

I use a high pressure flush system chambering. I use Rustlic 255R cut 5:1.
I run about 35 psi during chambering and 75-125 psi flushing. No heat and little wear on my reamers. Ream chambers in 10-15 minutes.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.