what long range cartridge would work best for a remington short action

The only" international" chamberings I have had dealings with were rimmed, based on the 30-30 case. The 7mm international is very close to the 7-30 Waters.

That was the old Federal American series cartridge. They usually came with a small primer and brass was match quality. Somebody is playing around with an HBR setup using that brass, and is turning heads.
gary

That was the old Federal American series cartridge. They usually came with a small primer and brass was match quality. Somebody is playing around with an HBR setup using that brass, and is turning heads.
gary

I know a little about the 6mm American, they are similar, but I am referring to the 7mm international made by necking down 30-30 brass and fireforming. The American was being pushed about the same time the PPC was gaining ground, but was outclassed by the PPC. My neighbor shoots the 7 international in a contender barrel. Fun little round to play with other than having to control headspace with a false shoulder with first firing. I bought the barrel for him on classifieds in excchange for some tractor work. He had a little problem forming cases, primers backing out a little on first firing.

I have heard rumors that the guy who was initially campaigning the 6mm american was using a hydrolic press to size the case head down to create small rifle primer pocets, but cannot remember the whole story.

7mm International Rimmed

What would be wrong with using a 110 to 125 grain 30 cal bullet and pushing it 3000 fps in his 308? It would be cheaper on his pocket book for sure and just how much worse would it be than going to all the expense to rechamber/rebarrel/rebolt/remag and re/ just about everything else? Just how much difference are we talking about on paper? How many inches/clicks adjustment at 500 yards would it make? How many dollars per click?

Not trying to be a smart ***, I really want to know!

I know a little about the 6mm American, they are similar, but I am referring to the 7mm international made by necking down 30-30 brass and fireforming. The American was being pushed about the same time the PPC was gaining ground, but was outclassed by the PPC. My neighbor shoots the 7 international in a contender barrel. Fun little round to play with other than having to control headspace with a false shoulder with first firing. I bought the barrel for him on classifieds in excchange for some tractor work. He had a little problem forming cases, primers backing out a little on first firing.

I have heard rumors that the guy who was initially campaigning the 6mm american was using a hydrolic press to size the case head down to create small rifle primer pocets, but cannot remember the whole story.

7mm International Rimmed

That guy shooting in HBR is using 30 American brass with small primer pockets. Wether or not he has improved the case I don't know. But I know his cases are from Federal, and he's winning enough matches that others are building rifles.

IHMSA competetion and Gates developed a whole series of so called "International" rounds. Most were made off the .300 Savage case, and cover about everything from 25 cailber to .338. But I don't think Gates had anything todo with the rimmed case development. And I've really only seen to 30 American match cases in real life. Rumor has it that Federal made a run of them last year, but I ain't seen any
gary

I have seen guys use the 1-7 twist for smaller chamberings such as the BR and PPC when guys wanted to try the 115s in them. Even built a couple and they shot well but in a 6mm with any size at all, you want the minimum twist that will fully stabilize that 115 gr bullet.

remember, its long, heavy for caliber and has a very thin jacket, to much in the way of RPMs will cause other problems to crawl out from under the rocks!!! Its not hard to weaken the jacket to core bond in the berger bullets, something in the velocity range of the Dasher of 6-250 would be hard pressed to do it but still there is no need for excessive rpms and often times its a bad thing with these bullets.

Ok blueprint 28 inch barrel muzzel break ,it will be a sweat heart to shoot iam sure ,thank you KIRBY have a great day. And thank to everbody else for all the great ideas. Thanks everone .

+1 for the 7.5 twist for 115s. I have not had good experiances with 8T barrels and 115s even with 6x284. Do not plan on shooting the bergers. I have lost 3 or 4 f-class matches due to vanishing 115gr berger bullets. I have not tried the JLKs but the DTACs work well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts