What lightweight SA all around cartridge build?

LongWalker

I've finally quarantine thought my way into to throwing this out for your learned opinions.

I have a Savage SA from a lightweight hunter that currently wears a 22" 6.5 Creed Barrel and sends the Berger 140 EH at 2860 sub MOA out to 600 verified. It weighs in at 8lb 11oz loaded. I know that's pretty light but I have a 18" barrel .308 that tips in a pound lighter with the same optic.

I'm thinking of a carbon barrel up to 24" (w/o a brake) for everything up to elk out to 600 yards. I'm thinking 7SAUM, 7WSM, 300WSM or maybe even 6.5 PRC. And yes I've looked at the Sherman's and if there's a way to do a Redding style body die along with a Lee neck die that's also a consideration.

I don't know what my obsession is for that "one" rifle but I thunk myself into a stupor on it this time. Finally FWIW I have a 280 AI that shoots the Berger 175 EH around 2925 and have some 177 Hammer Hunters loaded to try as well. So if the answer is make that your out west elk rifle and build this for everything else I'm open to that suggestion as well.

I've finally quarantine thought my way into to throwing this out for your learned opinions.

I have a Savage SA from a lightweight hunter that currently wears a 22" 6.5 Creed Barrel and sends the Berger 140 EH at 2860 sub MOA out to 600 verified. It weighs in at 8lb 11oz loaded. I know that's pretty light but I have a 18" barrel .308 that tips in a pound lighter with the same optic.

I'm thinking of a carbon barrel up to 24" (w/o a brake) for everything up to elk out to 600 yards. I'm thinking 7SAUM, 7WSM, 300WSM or maybe even 6.5 PRC. And yes I've looked at the Sherman's and if there's a way to do a Redding style body die along with a Lee neck die that's also a consideration.

I don't know what my obsession is for that "one" rifle but I thunk myself into a stupor on it this time. Finally FWIW I have a 280 AI that shoots the Berger 175 EH around 2925 and have some 177 Hammer Hunters loaded to try as well. So if the answer is make that your out west elk rifle and build this for everything else I'm open to that suggestion as well.
what about a 270 wsm with a 7 twist for the 168 hammer hunter

Love the 280AI but it comes in at just under 10lbs loaded which is more than I need here in the SE. Like the.308 too but the short barrel hurts velocity getting past 500.

The "dream" would be to combine the handling of the short .308, the mild recoil of the 6.5 Creed and the muscle of the 280AI in one rifle. I have also thought about a carbon barrel on the 280AI

There's a way for the dies.

I should have mentioned if I can I'd like to avoid the unobtanium powders like RL-26 and Retumbo. I like the 270wsm can use RL-16 as well as RL-23. Looked hard at the 30-06 Serengeti chamber as it can run RL-16 same with 300wsm

I should have mentioned if I can I'd like to avoid the unobtanium powders like RL-26 and Retumbo. I like the 270wsm can use RL-16 as well as RL-23. Looked hard at the 30-06 Serengeti chamber as it can run RL-16 same with 300wsm
from my experience with this cartridge you should be able to get 2900 plus from a 24 inch tube with the heavies 160-170gr. the 270 wsm

I had a 7WSM and loved it, until it didn't catch on and I couldn't get brass. I guess that is changing a bit now. I toasted the barrel several years ago, and eventually it will get rechambered as a regular 7RM. I ran it on a LA to get the most from it. I'm not a big fan of necking up or necking down to form cartridges, I haven't proven very good at it. So unless I can just fireform to an AI, I'm not interested in a wildcat. I run a 6.5 Addiction and love it, I can load to 6.5x284 or 6.5 Creedmoor velocities and it is a partial AI designed to run on a SA that I can form with a trigger pull. But given your suggestions and your desire to go with a short action, I would go 7 SAUM or 6.5 PRC.

Sounds like a perfect fit for a 6.5 PRC. I'd ditch the Savage and go tikka. There's rumors of a factory Tikka this summer.

I'm having a similar dilemma. That said, the search for "the one" has pretty much been abandoned. Your thoughts to use the 280AI for Elk and then build lighter for closer to home it a good one and where I am headed.

Current plans - Kimber 84m for lighter weight. I swore I wouldn't join the 6.5CM bandwagon and, well, that's what it is. They just work. Heavier, is a MRC in 300PRC or the Sherman improved version. Jury still out.

What about trimming some weight out of that Savage? I added a lightweight recoil pad ~2oz and channeled the forend with lightweight epoxy and carbon arrows in that Kimber. Forend ended up mostly a wash since I added an ebony tip. The price for vanity I guess. Working on lightweight bottom metal and need to hollow out the butt. Food for thought anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts