what kind of rifle to use

yoda

I want one that i can use every day to plink arround with and to do some good varmit hunting with to up to coyotes, out to a range , say 500 yrds.

this is what i have a optima elite in 243 24" barrel 1-10' twist with a 2x7 scope,

or i thought about buying a bolt action or will a lever action work

great rifle..have one in .45-70,i would get a 14-16 power scope and use a good ballistic tip bullet....handloaded if possible.gun)

optima elite looks like a muzzleloader and about all I know about muzzleloaders is they are to my knowledge big caliber like 45-50. So I'm wondering 243 to me is surprising or am I missing something? Also 500 yards are they that accurate at that distance.

That .243 should be OK if it will hold 'em all under an inch at 100yds. Tighter would be better. If it were me, I'd have to go with another scope. If I can't see it, I can't hit it.
I've just recently gone to the 95gn Ballistic Tip in my .243 with 44.0gn of Viht N560/CCI BR2's. Getting sub 1/2" groups at 3114fps. First day out with this load (07Nov09) took a groundhog at 580yds. It works! :) JohnnyK.

they make interchangable barrles like a encore does check out there web site.

do you have any suggestion on a type of scope to get i have about 350 to get one.

I bought a Nikon 6-18X40 BuckMaster with target dot this year and have been impressed with the scope. I bought it locally here in Va. for about $320.00 with tax. I was skeptical but it has delivered performance beyond its price tag. I mounted it to a Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag and it dials up/down consistently and accurately. The farthest I have "ran" it out to has been 650yds but it is dead on at that range.
Since I bought mine, Midway has had the Mil-Dot version on sale a couple of times for $299.99. It's not a Leupold or NightForce but it'll more than likely get you what you're searching for. Good luck. JohnnyK.

I bought a Nikon 6-18X40 BuckMaster with target dot this year and have been impressed with the scope. I bought it locally here in Va. for about $320.00 with tax. I was skeptical but it has delivered performance beyond its price tag. I mounted it to a Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag and it dials up/down consistently and accurately. The farthest I have "ran" it out to has been 650yds but it is dead on at that range.
Since I bought mine, Midway has had the Mil-Dot version on sale a couple of times for $299.99. It's not a Leupold or NightForce but it'll more than likely get you what you're searching for. Good luck. JohnnyK.

+1...my cousin has a 6-18x40 Buckmaster and it works great for him. He has the BDC reticle and personally I think the cross hairs are a bit heavy. The mil-dot and target dot reticles are more fine.

If you can find a load that will shoot in your 243, you can shoot at varmints much farther than 500 yards.

this is what i have a optima elite in 243 24" barrel 1-10' twist with a 2x7 scope, or i thought about buying a bolt action or will a lever action work

Rifles are remarkably narrow and specific in their application. That's why we need so many of them! Of course you need another rifle. We won't get out of this recession if we don't spend! Be a patriot; BUY, BUY, BUY!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts