What kind of optics are these?

middleofnowhere

B6536B52-92B7-4F43-8089-4D551B3E4970.jpeg
i saw these binos posted on the 2nd MADIV site, curious what they are.

Vector 21 with 10x magnifier on the right. Without 10x magnifier on the left. Standard equipment for military specialties like forward observers and JTAC's.

I have had a set of those in my hot little hands. They've got a laser rangefinder built in. I was able to range a grassy hillside at 12km in bright sunshine and a cow at 6km (as steady as I could hold without a tripod). Couldn't find a hillside or cow any further away to try. Some extremely cool binos. You can do some really cool stuff with them.

Yeah, Vector 21's are made by vectronix. They're not 23's though.
The Vector 21s', 21nites', and IVs' run between 9k-12k; the 23s' are close to 24k. There's been some serious situations wherein the aforementioned were advertised at "silly" prices--like $3000--and someone, thinking they were lucky, jumped for them. Shortly after someone, or usually two, came to visit. They weren't insurance or vacuum cleaner salespeople in spite of their formal attire; they were quite willing to listen to the--formerly "lucky"--explain how they came in possession of such fantastic equipment. Never ending well rest assured. So listen carefully to those horror stories here and on other sites. Most embarrassing.

I used the 21s at my last job (military) and they are insane. Like, I can lase a F-18 18000 ft plus away flying to get ranges from them to the flight deck. I think the price tag on the ones I was using was around 17K? Super heavy though, would be useless hunting in my opinion.

Last edited:
We have these and they are great, add the magnifiers and they are awesome!

Ross,
Sent you a PM

Last edited:
the vector 21s have been fielded for awhile too. Probably since around 05 if I remember right.

I used the 21s at my last job (military) and they are insane. Like, I can lase a F-18 18000 ft plus away flying to get ranges from them to the flight deck. I think the price tag on the ones I was using was around 17K? Super heavy though, would be useless hunting in my opinion.

They are virtually useless at the price point for anyone not dropping a bomb. They're real usefulness with them (in doctrine) is using them with a dagr or another ffs or gps software for calling in high MARS, or any other call for fire.

Last edited:
Well, for hunting LRF binoculars that are certainly NOT cheap dates but are (IMHO) better that Swarovski LRF binos I will go for the Leica HD-B 2200 binocular.
They have a lot of sensors (angle, station pressure, temperature, etc. and a Micro SD card you can load with your rifle & cartridges' specific ballistics. You need to enter wind speed and angle into your i-Phone or Android app and you'll have the FFP call.

The HD-B 2200 binos are around $2,000.+ street price but at least you won't have "men in black" visiting you and asking how you got such a great deal on them. ;o)

Eric B.
BTW, that looks like Marine Corps camp pattern the guys are wearing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.