What items to purchase

coues7

Well yesterday was my b-day.....I got $320 so I'd like to buy some items to help me get setup for LRH. I am in the process of getting a Remington Sendero SFIi and having Shawn put an Edge brake on it. I also have plans to get a Swarovski LRF. What else should I get and in what order?

Dell Axim X30.....$125-130
Exbal Software....$70(?)
ACI with mount....$140
Badger Ordinance Bases.....$149
XX Brand Rings....$?
Kestrel 2500NV....$179

Anything else you guys can think of?

Your input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Yes I do have a Chrony.....I think it's the Chrony Beta. I have an 80mm Swarovski Spotting Scope and the 10x50 SLC New binoculars as well.....both are a must in AZ for Coues hunting.

ScopeCoat
Butler Creek snap-open caps
Harris bipod, swiveling, I prefer the notched legs, short
Beenie bag for rear of stock - guy called REDMAN I believe sells the best ones
Pathfinder
Eagle Stock Pack
Eagle drag bag
Shooting mat
Data book,
Canvas tote bag or a large tool box to transport your gear
Lucas bore guide
Wind puffs or something similar to get wind direction
Midway cleaning kit - complete with everything you need to do a good job, large tackle box size kit
Electronic ear muffs
Torque screwdriver MAC
65 inch-pound snap wrench
TM Solution or something nearly as good for cleaning the bore

Lots more but this will keep you going for a while till your rifle is ready.

Ian M,
I guess I need to list whatelse I already have:

Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark IV LR/T M1 scope
Stoney Point Bore guide
Harris Bipod
Stoney Point carbon cleaning rods
GM Top Engine cleaner
Ear plugs
A Data Book
Dry Fire caps

I didn't just find this site yesterday and decide to become a long range shooter....I have lots of top quality tools already.....I want and need to use my money wisely to buy items that will assist in adding accuracy, consistency and performance....tools of the trade.....I have most of the little stuff.....like what's listed above. Chrony, Nice scope, nice optics etc..

For those of you unfamiliar with hunting out west.....its open, rugged and we have to walk a lot (on average 2-6 miles) so a drag back and 90lbs of out of the question and un-needed equipement is VERY unrealistic to haul around. If you going to get a shot at a coues whitetail buck your going to have to find them first then lay your sorry butt on the ground, get dirty and shoot off your pack or whatever else is available.....it is not like hunting back east......not that you guys back east don't have conditions similar to this but especailly here in Arizona you just arean't going to be hauling excess equipment around in 90-100 degree temps walking 2-6 miles up and down hills....one way!

With that said lets not derail this topic and I appreciate all inputs (no personal insult to Ian M......just need your opinions and input.

Thanks

I know what you are saying about Coues ,Been there done that and Getting ready to do it again in Mexico . Planned
hunt next year. I see from experience light is they way
when Coues Hunting You usaly take only what you have to have. Sounds like you havea good start.

I love coues deer!!!! They are one of the hardest species to hunt and yet very very rewarding.....light is the way to go. I just need suggestions on what critical items I should get with this $320

I already have money set aside for the Swarovski LRF and the Sendero.....I just need help on deciding on other items.

I'd go with good rings and bases. I got badger and have no complaints, but have heard a lot of good about other brands as well.

you can get the palm, and the wind meter, but they won't do much good until you get your scope on your gun.

have fun spending the $$$

Apologize for missing that you are into this already, that is a pretty basic bunch of stuff I suggested. We do a lot of big country hunting up here for mule deer and antelope. Have never hunted Coues but they are on my list. I would still suggest you consider the Pathfinders, Eagle stock pack and a ScopeCoat for your new rig. Pathfinders are little turret like devices that attach in front of your turrets on the main tube. Works like a tape measure only your drops are on the tape. Perfect location for drops and protected from weather. You can obtain from Leupold as their Ballistic Chart or direct from Allison Tool in Denver, they make them and call them the Pathfinder (http://www.allisontool.com/pathpr.html). He will even put your pet load onto the tape. Less than 20 bucks direct.
Eagle stock packs are great for storing your wind meter, wind puffs and extra ammo. Very comfortable also. Available from www.triadtactical.com for 35 bucks or so. Scope Coats are great for protecting the scope from rain and dirt, the tactical model has wings that overhang the action and will keep crap out. Also protection from rubs during transit and storage.
Last basic I would suggest is a stretchy sling from Spec Ops or www.texashuntco.com. These slings are tactical grade, much stronger than Vero Vellinis or whatever.

The guys here are suggesting good stuff. Easy to misspend money, you are wise to ask for advice. I have a drawer full of junk that I thought might be good but did not work out.

Two more suggestions. From your original list. I would consider a simpler Kestral or a basic Brunton. Bruntons are smaller, fit into the stock pack nicer but the new Kestral shape is an improvement. Basically you want wind and temps - barr. pressure/altititude if those are big variables. Why pay for computer memory and features you may not use. I have gone through several windmeters, simple is good. The cheaper models are accurate, just less bells and whistles. Also for your ballistics program consider the one sold by Nightforce, has a couple of very useful features. Basically EXBAL with some extras.

As for rings, if weight is an issue Badger makes aluminum bases and rings. Cuts a few ounces and still very strong. I cannot tell them from the steel ones on my rigs as far as looks goes. Also consider Glen Seekins, his aluminum bases and rings are beautifully machined and a bit less $. Also Richard Near, www.nearmfg.com makes superb mounts and rings in steel but a bit more $.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts