What is your workout routine for elk country high/low?

Well maybe not but it's the fastest way and the best way IMO. My job is all about hiking with weight but I haven't learned everything there is to know. What do you suggest?

As the study showed, strength training beyond rucking is very beneficial.

Ie squats, deadlifts, lunges, sled pulls etc. Along with cardiovascular training.

Oh yeah I agree but I didn't mean only hiking with weight was the only way. Also everyone is different, but for me the quickest way to hiking shape is to just hike hard and often. The learning curve is shortened by not spending more of your time running or some other type of cardio but more time just hiking. If you go hard enough you'll get your heart rate where it needs to be to get your cardio.

I am 51 and a waterfowler first. I stay active all year and getting into good shape starts with teal season and packing in decoys and gear. It gradually builds to multiple trips carring big bags of dekes and dragging boats. This all happens at 800' to 1200' above sea level so the legs, back and mind are ready for a load, but I just have to deal with the elevation/oxygen when I get west. I always get to elevation at least two days prior to hunting and get out scouting top down. It always seems to take 2 and a half days for me to get used to the alt. weather it's 6K or 12k it's the same. A headache after the first 24 hours, morning sickness the first morning and then at around 60 or 65 hours at alt the headache goes away and I'm good to go.

Oh yeah I agree but I didn't mean only hiking with weight was the only way.

Hiking with weight is the only way to prepare yourself for hiking with weight.
Not trying to be rude, but you literally did state just that.

Bottom line is muscular strength and endurance is more important that V02max, however you still need cardiovascular training.

Doing both is best, in conjunction with rucking.

Not trying to be rude, but you literally did state just that.

Bottom line is muscular strength and endurance is more important that V02max, however you still need cardiovascular training.

Doing both is best, in conjunction with rucking.
I'm not above saying I'm wrong but in this case I could have used different words. What I meant is hiking with weight would be the most important part. If that's all you do then you'd be fine, but of course combined with cardio and strength training is good too. Being we are all different I don't doubt many can do the rest without hiking and will be fine too but some can do all that and still not be strong hikers. I know they would do much better if hiking is a big part of their routine. I also understand there is a lot of experience here from hunters and active military/veterans who do plenty of all of the above but I can say I also have experience as a government employee, hiring from the military and most struggle when they begin our PT programs. Not a dig just saying it is what we do for a living, the OP asked and I gave my suggestion.

Packing (avoided if possible) would likely be somewhere between 5000 ft. and 9000 ft.

Age 70…..fairly active (except winter) around our home with outside work. Have a routine, light workout that I do on an average of 3 times per week….45 push-ups, 100 crunches, wide grip, overhand pull-ups (struggling with this) only 4 presently 🤬, 3 sets of "preacher curls" each arm using 20 lb weight, and then 25 minutes on Schwinn Airdyne averaging about 18/19 mph using legs (builds leg muscle and helps with cardio) only! memtb

Last edited:
I just love buying equipment and gear, so forgive my ability to find ways for you to spend your money. :)

I ruck with this (w/ 30 pound plate)
I also wear it when I do "leg day" (30lb plate + free weights)
Front & back lunges, squats, sumo squats, side-to-side squats, calf raises. All things that suck. I hate "leg day."

I find it helps get my shoulders used to a pack. I barely notice when it's on now but the first few sessions, I noticed. It pulls my shoulders back and helps with posture (while rucking, weight training, and the rest of the day).

I bought this particular pack so I can go up to the 45 lb plate. There is a smaller version.

Last edited:
Yep same deal but this is one of the brands we use. Holds steel bars up to 45lbs. This is what we use for our pack tests annually and also use them for PT.
9AC62C84-5140-4F95-81E6-73884D88E5ED.png

What is your year round workout routine for diy elk hunting pack in/out? How long have you been doing it? What is your age?

this year was my 24th year of elk hunting, (I have not filled my tag 3 times, so I would say I'm doing it). I only hunt public land, I have not been on a privet hunt, (not that Im against it, but as long as I can do it on my own, I'm going to. what I do in the off season to stay in shape for my hunt. Mostly I just hike. for an old guy I am very active, I surf, downhill mountain bike, Offroading, and do a lot of fishing/hiking, I do not go to a gym, I have a wild diet, and mostly eat meat that I have hunted or fished. if you can hike 5 to 7 miles way you are at home you should be fine. I live at sea level and I hunt at 7000 to 14,000 feet, so altitude sickness is the biggest thing I have to prep for. I always show up to the hunt a week before the opener, this allows me to scout and small hikes to start. and more each day, by the time opening morning comes, I'm good to go

Attachments

• 22..6.png
    22..6.png
    765.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 22.2.jpg
    22.2.jpg
    989.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 22..1.png
    22..1.png
    526.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 22.1.jpg
    22.1.jpg