What is your workout routine for elk country high/low?

Just look up Liver King and follow his advice OR hit the hills as often as you can.
Are you joking with this? You know he had to admit to PED use, and it was a laundry list of everything from anabolics to growth hormones. Don't get me wrong, do what you want with your body, but you shouldn't sell your results as all-natural when you're roided to the gils.

Are you joking with this? You know he had to admit to PED use, and it was a laundry list of everything from anabolics to growth hormones. Don't get me wrong, do what you want with your body, but you shouldn't sell your results as all-natural when you're roided to the gils.
Dang man you beat me to in by 9 minutes. So So funny my kid was totally kool aid drinking over this joke. I told him it was BS. Now when he says a peep about my first lite Rinella sell out (Peter Chernin) gear I just ask "Did you say Liver King?".

Check out MTNTOUGH fitness lab they have a great program for beginners all the way advanced it will definitely push you but it makes a huge difference come season it's called foundation and once you feel your in good shape they have a heavy pack program called HP20 that's awesome and thy also have one call the 45-70 but fair warning that's a savage program so I would recommend the HP20 first for the pack program
I recommend MTNTOUGH as well, been using it passed 3 years and is a game changer.

Late 40's here. Been elk hunting since I was a teen. I try to stay fit throughout the year. Strength training major muscle groups through the week (squats/lunges, dumbbell chest press and shoulder press, dumbbell rows, lots of core work for low back and abs). Cardio wise, I make sure to move each day. 30-60 min walks. Weekends with more time, work to get in some longer activity with a pack. Take any chance to get up n the mountains for longer hikes. I will mountain bike with my kids when I can as well. As the summer rolls along, hikes get longer and some backpack trips get out in the mix. For me the key now is to stay fit both strength and cardio wise so I don't have to worry about ramping anything up.

Start it 12 to 14 wks out. You might have to drop weight percentages, but it will absolutely get you in proper condition.

Im 52 and have been routinely exercising about four years since losing 50 pounds. I've gained about 15 of that back but am in the best physical condition of my adult life.

Upper body workout with light weight on machines once a week.
Lower body workout with light weight on machines once a week.

Cardio of choice 2-4 days a week and usually combined with weights.

I typically do the treadmill or elliptical for 20-45 minutes and combine with a light HIIT routine and or pushing / pulling a weighted sled. As I get closer to the hunt I add some hiking with a weighted pack.

The sled routine is a very efficient exercise as it's great cardio plus it works out all parts of the leg, ankle to butt front to back and is excellent cardio. I was turned on to this by knees over toes guy on YouTube as great therapy for your knees.

I did an elk hunt last year hiking about 18 miles in 3 days of hunting and 1.5 of scouting. I was overall sore at the end with a little knee pain specifically hauling that elk down hill.

This year I did 35 miles in 5 days of hunting and a day of scouting at 8k gaining 800-1000 feet. I felt great top to bottom including hauling 90 pounds 2.5 miles down hill via a rugged canyon. My cardio could have been better but that's part of being a 52 year old flat lander.

Knee over toes guy.

Here's a good HIIT routine. This is an odd looking guy but a good workout. I don't recommend the jumping lunges as it led to some lower leg/ankle strain. You can sub weighted or unweighted traditional lunges for the jumping lunges. I also add some planks to this routine

Been working in his mobility stuff on top of really ramping up treadmill and stair stepper month before season, helps a lot.

Been working in his mobility stuff on top of really ramping up treadmill and stair stepper month before season, helps a lot.

While I'm in far shape considering my age (70), I've been active/physical all of my life….when on the floor or on the ground, getting up to standing was slow and a bit painful!

I started a little workout routine last January! Just crunches, push ups, dumbbell preacher curls, a few pull-ups and perhaps most importantly……riding our Schwinn Airdyne. I only use my legs on the bike, giving me the needed cardio vascular work and strengthening of the legs.

Getting up from the ground/floor is much less painful and much faster. In fact, I can now spring up from a swatted position "catching" a little air……haven't been able to do that in 20+ years! memtb

As a wildland firefighter I'm used to carrying weight in the mountains. Hiking is the best way to prepare yourself for hiking. Hiking with weight is the only way to prepare yourself for hiking with weight. Plus it's free and you don't need any routine except get out and put in some time. Any cardio will help strengthen your lungs for those times you need to hike like hell to get yourself in position during a hunt.

Ima going to bud in and ask what you guys do for your backs? I'm just over 40 and found out a few years ago I have scoliosis and in the middle of that a bulged disk. Used to love dead lifting and can (heavy) anymore. I basically do body weight and kettlebell stuff for legs and back now. Lots and lots of core work! Im quite strong but my back gives out more than I care. After taking it easy and not haulking deer around we tried to push over a car at a rescue the other day and my back issue said hi. Oddly enough I can handle a pack better by just the shoulder straps then with the hip belt🤷🏻‍♂️. Hip belt hurts the back every way I try (EXO frame). Advice?