Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
When the energy crunch and the factories dropped the compression ratios Mopar 440's were the worst. Don't get me wrong I like Mopar but they dropped the piston down in the hole .140" ruining the quench ( they didn't know back then ) and that's the worst thing you can do it causes detonation. Then they backed off on the timing and ruin the power.
The mid to late 60's were golden high compression and high octane, then the govmint steps in and screws it up.

Before the Craigslist, the Dodge dealer had an As-Is-Alley, on the back of his lot ,with a row of used cop cars. Could find a 449 Magnum that ran for less than $500 bucks!

When the energy crunch and the factories dropped the compression ratios Mopar 440's were the worst. Don't get me wrong I like Mopar but they dropped the piston down in the hole .140" ruining the quench ( they didn't know back then ) and that's the worst thing you can do it causes detonation. Then they backed off on the timing and ruin the power.
The mid to late 60's were golden high compression and high octane, then the govmint steps in and screws it up.
I know about compression drop and smog devices starting in 1972. I had a 69 Dodge Dart, a 70 340 Duster (my favorite) a 70 Dodge Charger RT 440 mag. A 69 Plymouth Roadrunner. I did have a 1974 Dodge Charger with a smogger low compression 400. It was a great road car though. Always wanted a Hemi Cuda.

Critters are getting hammered. Bad around you L2land 🙄

Oh it's real bad. Goats were herding up on pads around line heaters and then all of them would get pneumonia. See a lot of deer and antelope bedded in the morning covered in frost like they just don't have energy to move more than required. This is gonna be my sons first year hunting but prob not big game.

I raced Maico 500cc (west German) and Husqvarna (Sweden) motorcycles in Motocross. Real chrome moly frames you couldn't bend. Forged pistons not cast garbage and butter frames. They were bullet proof. They cost more but wasn't repairing all the time. I was ready to buy a KTM (Austrian) but hung it up and bought a Polaris Razor instead. Never owned a Jap bike.
Oh yeah, recoil... 🤔

**** you are old 😁……..a Maico and a Husky! Two of the best bikes of the late '60's into the '70's! memtb

**** you are old 😁……..a Maico and a Husky! Two of the best bikes of the late '60's into the '70's! memtb
I'll always be younger than you !
Maicos up until 1990. I had a 1982, 1985 and my favorite 1986 water cooled , dual disc brakes. All 500cc. Husky's I had 1974, 1976 400cc . 1980 420 and my favorite 1981 430 CR. Husqvarna is still racing . I quit racing in 1990.
Come on Birdog ! Where are you ?

Last edited:
I'll always be younger than you !
Maicos up until 1990. I had a 1982, 1985 and my favorite 1986 water cooled , dual disc brakes. All 500cc. Husky's I had 1974, 1976 400cc . 1980 420 and my favorite 1981 430 CR. Husqvarna is still racing . I quit racing in 1990.
Come on Birdog ! Where are you ?

😁 I thought Maico disappeared before 1990! I guess I am and always have been…..a bit out of touch!

When I quit racing in the late '70's…..I completely turned my back on motorcycle racing. It was just to painful to watch.
I didn't start follow again until Kevin Windham was getting into Pro Supercross. My daughter knew him pretty well and was close to some of his friends! memtb

😁 I thought Maico disappeared before 1990! I guess I am and always have been…..a bit out of touch!

When I quit racing in the late '70's…..I completely turned my back on motorcycle racing. It was just to painful to watch.
I didn't start follow again until Kevin Windham was getting into Pro Supercross. My daughter knew him pretty well and was close to some of his friends! memtb
I don't think they made past 1987 or 88 but they were racing into 90's.
Quit in the 70's ? Man you are old 🤔😉😆 I was riding in 1971 but didnt start racing until 1980 . I know the name Kevin Windham but can't vision 🤔

Last edited:
I don't think they made past 1987 or 88 but they were racing into 90's.
Quit in the 70's ? Man you are old 🤔😉😆 I was riding in 1971 but didnt start racing until 1980 . I know the name Kevin Windham but can't vision 🤔

I was married with 2 kids when I started racing. A couple of injuries, struggling to pay the bills, plus my son didn't like to race and quit racing…..I succumbed to the pressure! memtb

I was married with 2 kids when I started racing. A couple of injuries, struggling to pay the bills, plus my son didn't like to race and quit racing…..I succumbed to the pressure! memtb
We better get back to recoil. I. Sure some are getting annoyed... 😉