Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
Korhil78, our preferred hunting spot has a lot of bear (grizzly activity) and if in or near the timber….I want to "hear"/smell/ feel everything around me!

I went to axil gs extreme hearing protection when handgun hunting in the timber…..they offer enhanced hearing and decent sound deadening! But, having wires, ect. hanging around my neck and shoulders is a bit aggravating! "Aggravating"……but comforting at the same time! 😉 memtb

Dad bought a Savage 24 Model .22/20ga combo rifle for me when I was in my early teens. First time I shot that 20ga with that plastic ribbed butt plate I thought I broke my shoulder. It left a pretty good mark. I never will forget when one of my buddies came over with his dad's Browning 12ga right after I got the Savage and we went rabbit hunting. At some point after bagging a couple rabbits we swapped guns cause I was being a typical teenager and bragging my 20 ga had more kick than his dad's 12 ga. He took one shot and let out a few expletives, handed the gun back to me and the argument was settled. Later that week we had a baseball game and he was our star pitcher but that week his shoulder was so bruised from shotgun episode he could barely throw a baseball let alone pitch. I got put in as the starting pitcher and threw such a great game I was given the starting role permanently. Funny how things turned out.

Another funny story about that gun... Had a best friend in high school that was a city boy. He was a really smart but scrawny kid. He was always fascinated with the outdoors and loved to go fishing and come hang out on the farm. He had never shot a gun before and one day when he was there we decided to have some fun. I was always hunting ground hogs and often on the way back to the house I would find some excuse to unload my gun on a target rather than pocketing the ammo for another day. One of my favorite ways to unload the shot gun was to find a suitable fresh cow pie and blast it from 10-15 yds (if you know, you know). So on this particular day I grabbed the gun a handful of shells and told my buddy to come on, let's have some fun. After going thru some basic firearm safety and a demonstration shot on a rather fresh pile and the resulting holy crap jubilation of seeing cow sh#@ being "blown up" he gets his turn. We pick out a rather soupy looking cow pie and he lines up his shot and he misses. Remembering this was his first shot I encourage him, give him another shell and watch as he lines up and misses again. At this point I am pretty sure its a flinching problem but I don't want him to be discouraged and he's determined to hit his target so I give him another shell and watch as he moves in closer and blast that soupy cow pie from about 10 feet... and promptly is covered with it. He stands there for a few seconds and turns and looks at me with what can only be described literally as "a sh#@ eating grin", wipes his mouth on the inside of his t-shirt, holds his hand out for another shell and says "let's shoot some more"! I am rolling with laughter at this point and he's still grinning and I'll can think to say is "sure, but you're walking home" ;) 🥹😂

Korhil78, our preferred hunting spot has a lot of bear (grizzly activity) and if in or near the timber….I want to "hear"/smell/ feel everything around me!

I went to axil gs extreme hearing protection when handgun hunting in the timber…..they offer enhanced hearing and decent sound deadening! But, having wires, ect. hanging around my neck and shoulders is a bit aggravating! "Aggravating"……but comforting at the same time! 😉 memtb
I went to using the Axil GS Extreme for the little bench shooting I do. I hate the wires but its more comfortable than the bulkier hearing protection which can interfere with a good cheek weld to the stock. The Axil setup still allows for hearing while hunting but often I feel like I miss some sounds... but then again, does anyone ever hear a deer walking thru the brush in the woods? I think not. lol

I can give you an answer….but, I wish to remain forum friends! 😂 memtb
Lol you & I chat often enough, go for it😊😆 lol I have four 243's & a 6mm Remington btw
243 & 6mm 7600 & 760
DPMS Gen II multi Cal 243 20"
Rem 700 CDL 243 24"
Ruger #1 Stainless Laminated 243 25"
lol shooting an 06' that recoils like a 243 is quite a "kick" 🤣🤣😂

Dad bought a Savage 24 Model .22/20ga combo rifle for me when I was in my early teens. First time I shot that 20ga with that plastic ribbed butt plate I thought I broke my shoulder. It left a pretty good mark. I never will forget when one of my buddies came over with his dad's Browning 12ga right after I got the Savage and we went rabbit hunting. At some point after bagging a couple rabbits we swapped guns cause I was being a typical teenager and bragging my 20 ga had more kick than his dad's 12 ga. He took one shot and let out a few expletives, handed the gun back to me and the argument was settled. Later that week we had a baseball game and he was our star pitcher but that week his shoulder was so bruised from shotgun episode he could barely throw a baseball let alone pitch. I got put in as the starting pitcher and threw such a great game I was given the starting role permanently. Funny how things turned out.

Another funny story about that gun... Had a best friend in high school that was a city boy. He was a really smart but scrawny kid. He was always fascinated with the outdoors and loved to go fishing and come hang out on the farm. He had never shot a gun before and one day when he was there we decided to have some fun. I was always hunting ground hogs and often on the way back to the house I would find some excuse to unload my gun on a target rather than pocketing the ammo for another day. One of my favorite ways to unload the shot gun was to find a suitable fresh cow pie and blast it from 10-15 yds (if you know, you know). So on this particular day I grabbed the gun a handful of shells and told my buddy to come on, let's have some fun. After going thru some basic firearm safety and a demonstration shot on a rather fresh pile and the resulting holy crap jubilation of seeing cow sh#@ being "blown up" he gets his turn. We pick out a rather soupy looking cow pie and he lines up his shot and he misses. Remembering this was his first shot I encourage him, give him another shell and watch as he lines up and misses again. At this point I am pretty sure its a flinching problem but I don't want him to be discouraged and he's determined to hit his target so I give him another shell and watch as he moves in closer and blast that soupy cow pie from about 10 feet... and promptly is covered with it. He stands there for a few seconds and turns and looks at me with what can only be described literally as "a sh#@ eating grin", wipes his mouth on the inside of his t-shirt, holds his hand out for another shell and says "let's shoot some more"! I am rolling with laughter at this point and he's still grinning and I'll can think to say is "sure, but you're walking home" ;) 🥹😂
Lmao I grew up on a big farm. Lmao the "sh#@ we pulled" 🤣😂🤣

It's beautiful…..but, not "my cup of tea"!

I'm into "pure utility"…..synthetic stock, all metal stainless, quick release base/rings, ect. That said…..some of the features you stated are an absolute must! 😉 memtb
I absolutely hear you ❗Nothing to P Me off more than Denting a Wood Stock😡 i prefer stainless synthetics or at least Stainless Laminated

Same here as far as shooting opportunities/ranges…..though my home range only goes to 300 yards. I have to drive a couple of miles on our Polaris Ranger to be able to shoot at "unlimited" distance!

I always fail to remind myself….I'm much more a "hunter" than a "shooter"! 😉 I/we burn very little powder just shooting! The majority of our shooting involves our hunting rifles/handguns. Only the handgun wears a brake…..courtesy of S&W! 😉

Good ear protection is worn during practice plinking with the long guns….not when hunting. "Great" hearing protection is a must at all times with that darn handgun ….what a "PIA"! 😉 memtb
Have you ever looked into anybody making a better brake for the S&W 460 ? I haven't. You just made me think of it 🤔

I sighted in a Winchester 1886 clone in 45-70 last fall trying to prepare for a medium-range match. After 32 rounds of 405-grain bullets, I was hurting.
32 rounds to sight in? Or the typical 2 or 3 and then you shot 29 or 30 more for practice?

I was wearing an EVO shirt but it just didn't matter after all that.
What's an EVO shirt?

That is why God invented Leadsleds
Mike
Where do buy your Leadsleds? Is that a six foot long sled made of lead..or an ice fishing toboggan with 25 lb shot bags in it? Either way it's about the only way....to fit my 50 bmg! Be alot work to get it on a bench too! Probably hurt everything more setting it up than sucking up the recoil!

Last edited:

I just bought the same Axil's. I'm bout deaf. I'm not happy with the hearing amplification of them. I have a set of Walker Silencer's that I've had for a couple years. No cables. They work well.

You guys ever try one of these? Especially for those who shoot in the summer
I shoot year around like yesterday. rt

Attachments

• 20230326_102209.jpg
    20230326_102209.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230324_151430.jpg
    20230324_151430.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 26
Have you ever looked into anybody making a better brake for the S&W 460 ? I haven't. You just made me think of it 🤔

At one time, S&W offered something to replace the brake, with a part closing off the ports….but, no more!

I'd love to try my XVR without the brake…..but my 400's @ 1600 mv, may change my mind! 😂 However, my 300 grain plinkers @ around 1100 should be quite pleasant in both recoil and noise! memtb