Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
You're not shooting heavy enough arrows and broadheads yet. And that 45 lb. pull weight . 😉😆
Well went from 75# down to 54# to hopefully saves shoulder. Still shooting Black Eagle Rampage 001 300 spine with 100 gr Thunderheads. Can't get any more old school than that.😂 450 gr total weight. Awful recoil and backlash ....😱

A recoil story…..from my archives! 😁

The only time my rifle (yes, my only hunting rifle) hurt me was my fault …..not that of the rifle/ cartridge. Merely, a really bad decision….."gross operator error"! 🫢

About 30 years ago, I was hunting with my BIL……we didn't know each other well, and was our first time hunting together!

I made a late evening shot on an elk, badly misjudging the distance. But, I had to make certain that it was a miss! I left BIL, and went to perform forensics work at the scene of the intended victim! I spent a good deal of time making sure, the sun had set….and was getting darker.

My BIL got concerned, and decided to shoot 3 times to give his location. I decided to give a single shot into the air, to let him know I was OK!

The really bad decision: I extended my right arm to near vertica, pulled the trigger…..59 ft/lbs of thrust rapidly accelerating the rifle downward, driving the trigger guard "very" hard into my "bird" finger! 🫢 The rifle's rapid, downward movement only being arrested…..when the recoil pad encountered "terra firma"!

To suggest that the damage done to my hand and my pride was minor…..would be a bit of an "understatement"!

I hope that this little story may prevent someone from doing something as "retarded" as this"! Let my "pain be your gain"! 😉 memtb
Almost like this??
D1B21C06-580B-4BE1-B81E-8BA472882066.gif

The absolutely hardest I've ever been kicked by a gun was A TC encore 50 cal with 300 grain, 120 grains of pyrodex, that wasn't what kicked, lmao air mailing the ramrod was, omfg ‼️🤣😅😂 an ouch‼️
A friend of mine did this with his flintlock at a traditional match with about 50 people watching. Occasionally we'll remind him of it by calling him ramrod. He doesn't like the nickname. 😂

Could it be a bit of both in your case?
Probably all the above. They're factory box stock A-Bolts. Never taken the actions out of the stocks. They shoot acceptably, factory Hornady ammo is 3" at 200 yards, plenty good enough for pot shots on pigs and deer.

When I pulled my X-Bolt out of the factory stock and put it into a McMillian it calmed down significantly, it had been kind of jumpy before. Almost like I could feel the stock flexing, loading and unloading through the recoil cycle. But it was a 6.5 Creed... magically it has no recoil 🤣 I'd need to step it up to 223 to get some real recoil to really be sure.

Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

I bought an 30-06 ADL in about '86. That thing was THE most unpleasant gun I've ever shot.
A friend had a paddlestock .300 WM and, after some badgering I finally did shoot it.
That's when I found out about stock design and recoil. I loved that Ruger and have wanted one ever since.
He shot a couple of pickup trucks full of deer with that gun, but now shoots a 7/08.

You know guys, when we speak of recoil many times it's really not the caliber as much as perhaps the stock fit and of course rifle weight vs caliber. I bought a Mod 70 .270 Win in late 1965 post-64 which had back then Winchester radical free-floating barrel where they also provided a stock/barrel wedge for storing the rifle in between hunting seasons, I don't think they kept that model for more than a couple of years if that long, I think most hunters just threw the wedge away, I digress; My point is, that rifle was one of the hardest kicking rifles I owned due to it's overall fit and high comb. I kinda had the same problem with a Sako .375 H&H the trigger guard would nearly break my right middle finger every time I fired it, which translated into recoil shyness for me. Later I bought an Interarms Whitworth Mark X Alaskan 375 H&H and it felt like was shooting my .308 Win... loved that .375 H&H rifle it was deadly accurate with everything I put in it. So I think recoil takes many forms as we think about it.
Just my 0.2 Cheers.

I should have added this Winchester add when I was talking about the Post 64 which was actually a late Pre 64 Mod 70 with the wedge and the radical floated barrel, but... not a true Pre 64 it was the beginning of the change over to the Post 64 with the new action and stock. Does anyone else remember this model 70? Well, you old timers I mean. 🤭 😉

Mod 70.jpg

Last edited:
I remember it, 436. One of my school buddies had one, for a little while.

the one that was THE most uncomfortable to shoot was a REM 700 BDL. It actually hurt. No one that ever shot it could do so for more that 4 shots. That was the max. I also had a 338 Win Mag that absolutely Frogged the crap out of me.

Just so's all y'all know, I still shoot my 460 Wby with no problems. BUT, not off the bench. It's accurate enough that I don't have to.