Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
A sports writer did a review on the S&W .500 when it first came out. Loaded the gun and shot, unloaded the rounds unfired, packed his things and went home.

Not everybody can handle recoil.

I shoot my .340Wby but not from a bench, and for practice, nothing over 250gr.

A sports writer did a review on the S&W .500 when it first came out. Loaded the gun and shot, unloaded the rounds unfired, packed his things and went home.

Not everybody can handle recoil.

I shoot my .340Wby but not from a bench, and for practice, nothing over 250gr.
That 500 Wyoming Express,will break a guy, of his classic Camp Perry one handed marksmanship stance, pretty quick too.

You know guys, when we speak of recoil many times it's really not the caliber as much as perhaps the stock fit and of course rifle weight vs caliber. I bought a Mod 70 .270 Win in late 1965 post-64 which had back then Winchester radical free-floating barrel where they also provided a stock/barrel wedge for storing the rifle in between hunting seasons, I don't think they kept that model for more than a couple of years if that long, I think most hunters just threw the wedge away, I digress; My point is, that rifle was one of the hardest kicking rifles I owned due to it's overall fit and high comb. I kinda had the same problem with a Sako .375 H&H the trigger guard would nearly break my right middle finger every time I fired it, which translated into recoil shyness for me. Later I bought an Interarms Whitworth Mark X Alaskan 375 H&H and it felt like was shooting my .308 Win... loved that .375 H&H rifle it was deadly accurate with everything I put in it. So I think recoil takes many forms as we think about it.
Just my 0.2 Cheers.
Very true. I've replaced stocks on 3 different riffles . A 7 Rem mag, 300 WM and 300 RUM. All made a difference. I replaced a stock on a Tikka T3 Lite with a B&C. I didn't notice a thing ... 🤔😆

A recoil story…..from my archives! 😁

The only time my rifle (yes, my only hunting rifle) hurt me was my fault …..not that of the rifle/ cartridge. Merely, a really bad decision….."gross operator error"! 🫢

About 30 years ago, I was hunting with my BIL……we didn't know each other well, and was our first time hunting together!

I made a late evening shot on an elk, badly misjudging the distance. But, I had to make certain that it was a miss! I left BIL, and went to perform forensics work at the scene of the intended victim! I spent a good deal of time making sure, the sun had set….and was getting darker.

My BIL got concerned, and decided to shoot 3 times to give his location. I decided to give a single shot into the air, to let him know I was OK!

The really bad decision: I extended my right arm to near vertica, pulled the trigger…..59 ft/lbs of thrust rapidly accelerating the rifle downward, driving the trigger guard "very" hard into my "bird" finger! 🫢 The rifle's rapid, downward movement only being arrested…..when the recoil pad encountered "terra firma"!

To suggest that the damage done to my hand and my pride was minor…..would be a bit of an "understatement"!

I hope that this little story may prevent someone from doing something as "retarded" as this"! Let my "pain be your gain"! 😉 memtb
What is your one hunting rifle?

I don't understand it either. I have two identical 30-06 A-Bolt Stalkers and they beat the absolute snot out of me. Pencil barrels and no brakes.

A 30-06 hand loaded to it's full potential definitely takes things up a notch.

My experience has been that stock flexation definitely plays a part in the recoil experience.

Poor bedding can result in torque, stored in the stock when the action screws are tightened up. This can definitely funkify the recoil experience too.

Could it be a bit of both in your case? I don't know...

My main rifle for many years was a semi custom 30-06 (started life as a 700 BDL). At 7.5lbs all up, full power 180gr loads are bumping against my threshold, and that rifle is bedded into a fancy composite stock.

Prior to that I was hunting with a super accurate 300WM. I had to step down because even though I could consistently shoot .2's from the bench, with that rifle, POI would change when I switched shooting positions. Yes, technique plays a part, but I felt that was too much to manage under pressure.

I guess what I'm saying is that for me, in the context of 'long range hunting', I want a rifle that maintains its zero, whether I'm standing up, sitting or lying down.

The risk of permanent hearing loss scares me more than a bruise on my shoulder, so no brakes in the field for this guy...

I thought it was a .577 tyrannosaur!?!? Now saying 700 nitro…this fish keeps getting bigger the more times the story is told!🤣

You are very correct……it was the .577 ! The Accurate Reloading site had a bunch of the videos. The site owner (a very rich guy from the UAE) was the owner of the .557, if I recall correctly! memtb