Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
I am not to recoil sensitive. I own everything from a 22 to a 460 wby. The Weatherby even with a break will wake you up in the morning but you need to focus on the target not the rifle, pick a spot and let it float, follow through. Good bone on bone form and letting the rifle rest in the pocket of the shoulder will help absorb some of the recoil. Square up and step into it. Even then it is going to feel like someone slapped the **** out of you. It is fast and sharp but if your ready you can handle it. Stock design matters a lot. I load the 460 down to 458 Lott levels and I don't shoot it a lot, especially at more than $5 a pop with hand loads and $10 with factory loads. But a few shots here and there doesn't bother me to much. It is kind of fun and on game you don't hardly notice it, but that comes from learning to shoot well with a lesser cartridge. If I were a new shooter preparing for a dangerous game hunt, which is really the only reason to own one of these behemoths, I wouldn't start with a 460. My go to rifles for almost everything are a 6.5 lbs 308 and a 6.75 lbs 270 win. Big fan of the 300 win mag too but I prefer them in a 9lbs rifle.

When it comes to managing recoil, form and the construction and weight of the rifle matter. I would not shoot the 460 prone or off a bench free bore. A good set of shooting sticks from the standing position is the way it is meant to be shot and when you do hold on but don't focus on holding on!😂 Learn good form and proper technique and you can shoot just about anything once or twice. To those of us getting older I concur that I don't enjoy it as much as I did when I was a young man but I still like to ride the thunder every now and then. And if Capes or Big browns are on the menu I don't want anything less than a 338 win mag or 375 H&H in my hand. Hoping for one of those two in the near future. Once you shoot a big bore or 3.5 inch magnum everything else will feel like child's play.

Note: the 416s and up aren't play toys for the faint at heart. The recoil on some of them can give you a heart attack, literally. Make sure you get proper instructions on how to use it and that the rifle fits you. And if if weighs less than 9-10lbs run! Whoever built it was an idiot!😂
View attachment 450336
I'm happy. My 378 & 416 Weatherbys have brakes. I shoot them from a bench, but I built my bench so I'm sitting STRAIGHT UP. Or it's off the side of the wood 🪵 pile standing up

I have shot a .375 H&H for about 45 years now. So guess I'm rather used to the caliber and recoil. Use it from moose to beaver.
Other calibers I use are 9,3x62,
30-06 and 308 win.
Sold my 222 Rem for 30 years ago. Can use those other calibers to hunt all I want and need.

You sound like the late Jack Lott. He seemed to love recoil. He opened up a .375 H&H to .458 and thought it was just perfect.
I find the big difference between the 375 H&H and 458 Lott is this- I can shoot the 375 ok off the bench, without holding the fore end. I can't do this with the Lott, I need to be either standing, or prone.
However, out hunting, the difference isn't really noticeable.

You sound like the late Jack Lott. He seemed to love recoil. He opened up a .375 H&H to .458 and thought it was just perfect.

I've wanted a Win. Model 70 in a Lott for many years……absolutely zero justification to have one though. Especially since I'm a "one gun" hunter…..just another that will never be used! ☹️ memtb

So all I read is how much recoil affects a lot of shooters so wondering what is your threshold? Is the recoil from poor shooter form? Lightweight rifles? Heavy bullet? Big bore cartridges? Or even smaller stature of shooter? Don't like needles?

I am hoping to beat the hate the cartridge thread number of pages...,,,
There is a fine line between Imagination....and Hallucination !

Some guns/ calibers hurt a bit, some hurt a bunch, some don't move you at all...it's how you mitigate the recoil and where it affects you. Lots of 30 + lb recoil cartridges have little FELT recoil and lots of 20 pounders can kick like a Mule.....Design is the key...( just added this to get your page count up Muddy)

I'm 5' 6", 190+lbs, and getting real close to 60yrs on this rock. I enjoy shooting my 28N with a brake, but 10-12 rnds and it starts hurting. Shot a 6lb .375H&H once. One 3 shot group and I was done. That gun recoiled so hard thatit actually bent the side rail of my dad's f-250 bad enough that the tailgate wouldn't close.

So all I read is how much recoil affects a lot of shooters so wondering what is your threshold? Is the recoil from poor shooter form? Lightweight rifles? Heavy bullet? Big bore cartridges? Or even smaller stature of shooter? Don't like needles?

I am hoping to beat the hate the cartridge thread number of pages...,,,
The recoil from my 338 without a brake is punishing. With a brake it is quite managable. The recoil from my 45-70 out of a Thompson Center Contender is really tough even with a brake. The same round out of my ported Marlin is managable but both the shooter and everyone near by will notice. The muzzle blast alone will wake the dead.