Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
Motocross! We must get together and tell some lies!

Maybe I should get a CM, compared to your life experiences…..I'm a sissy! memtb
Birddog used to race Motocross also. Did you ?
I have a 6.5 Creed Tikka T3 Lite and a 28 in. TC Encore Hunter barrel in 6.5 Creed I'm not ashamed! Just another caliber to me. I reload for 15 rifle calibers 🙄 Used the Tikka on my whitetail doe last year . 😉

I shot a .50cal BMG once prone.

ONCE….. 🤦🤣

The Barrett 82 wasn't too bad to shoot prone. Back in the 90's, we had a club member who was in the national guard as an M1 Abrams commander, and ever so often, he would bring a can or two of 50's out for a fun time with the Barrett.

It was a lighter custom bolt gun and one older AR 50 that got my attention, but shoot them I did. Mostly for attempts at 1,000yd groups (Thinking BR potential) or 2,000yd 55gal drum shooting.

Last edited:
I have a Past shoulder pad. On a real cold morning, shooting 400 gr. bullets with 150 grains of Triple Seven, I broke it into 3 pieces. It kicked enough that I started flinching. I got smarter and loaded with less powder, and bought a soft gel pad to wear over the Past pad.

We got adjustable seats on our shooting benches at the range, and getting the right height to be sitting up straight helps a lot with recoil.

I was standing 30 feet back from a braked 300 RUM, and the blast was unbelievable. The poor shooter flinched so bad he shot 4 Gemsbok before he killed one. I won't hunt with anyone who uses a brake.

I have a Contender carbine in 7-30 Waters, and it is a joy to carry and plenty to kill aoudad out to 230 yards.

Birddog used to race Motocross also. Did you ?
I have a 6.5 Creed Tikka T3 Lite and a 28 in. TC Encore Hunter barrel in 6.5 Creed I'm not ashamed! Just another caliber to me. I reload for 15 rifle calibers 🙄 Used the Tikka on my whitetail doe last year . 😉

I raced Flat Track (short track), some Hare Scrambles, a few enduros, and played around on practice day on a local motocross track! If you did 15 years of motocross…..that explains a lot! A tough sport! memtb

I bought a Savage 110 Apex Hunter in 7RM and HATED the recoil. Then I build a 7SS with a break and got used to shooting that. When I was selling my 7RM, I took it to the range and shot it a few times before handing it over and even without a break, it wasn't too bad. I had been so used to my AR that any recoil was surprising I guess. I would shoot that 7RM with no break at least on a hunting trip if not a nice range day.

I raced Flat Track (short track), some Hare Scrambles, a few enduros, and played around on practice day on a local motocross track! If you did 15 years of motocross…..that explains a lot! A tough sport! memtb
I never raced any of those races. I used to belong to 3 clubs. 2 were motocross and one was Gran Prix. Giant motocross tracks up to 4 mile laps. You go one hour plus one lap. A lot of fun. One of the tracks was Riverdide Raceway in Ca.. Part dirt part asphalt. I won a Magic Mountain Gran Prix in Ca.. Was close to Park.

Last edited:
I never raced any of those races. I used to belong to 3 clubs. 2 were motocross and one was Gran Prix. Giant motocross tracks up to 4 mile laps. You go one hour plus on lap. A lot of fun. One of the tracks was Riverdide Raceway in Ca.. Part dirt part asphalt. I won a Magic Mountain Gran Prix in Ca.. Was close to Park.

Wow…..you're way above my pay grade! memtb

Back in the 80's, I remember borrowing my brother's H&R single 12ga in full choke and with a hard plastic butt plate, and because of it's light weight, I thought I might use it on a casual walking/stalking afternoon deer hunt. So, I had a box of 3" Mags in copper plated 4B shot, and went out and sit on a little dirt mound in the back yard to test the pattern and POI. When I pulled the trigger, unexpectedly, the next thing I saw was blue sky and white clouds as I lay on my back behind the mound. My brother laughing is backside off of course.

Back in the 80's, I remember borrowing my brother's H&R single 12ga in full choke and with a hard plastic butt plate, and because of it's light weight, I thought I might use it on a casual walking/stalking afternoon deer hunt. So, I had a box of 3" Mags in copper plated 4B shot, and went out and sit on a little dirt mound in the back yard to test the pattern and POI. When I pulled the trigger, unexpectedly, the next thing I saw was blue sky and white clouds as I lay on my back behind the mound. My brother laughing is backside off of course.
😂 never been knocked over but also never tried 3" mags through a featherweight 12 ga single. It's just physics.

Have to site in my 870 next week as I'm switching to a red dot on it. Plan on shooting 3 1/2 TSS in it and kinda dreading the process. Hopefully I can get reasonably close with some lighter field loads before patterning the 3 1/2's.
I've never put optics on mine, so I've just had to shoot it a couple times to see I have to hold and then I'm good, until I switch brands. With only one turkey tag, a box of shells last awhile. That pad the memtb show looks like it would help.

Last edited: