What is your purpose for being on this forum?

I joined cause I was wanting to push my 223 to the limits, till I found even that can go a mile( mine made it 400 yards a lot then went down the road...)
I bought my 300 wsm off a member here, as well as buying my scope off a member/sponsor..so far I've stretched it out to 815 and killed the only milk jug I had out there( I though it was cool, I've shot that far before but always walked em in, never connected on the first shot) after goin 815, I dialed back to my 200 yard zero, shot the target I had there, dialed for 600, then 440, everytime I changed distances I went back to the 200 yard target, wound up will one shot kills on every milk jug at all three distances and the best 200 yard group ever at under 1/4"...had it not been for this site and its members(and the shooter and range card apps) I wouldnt have been able to do any of it...thanks Len for the awsum site and thanks to those who keep adding to the knowledge base!

To be able to kill a bull or buck at 1000yds. By getting information and giving information to help others accomplish the same. I have no one around me who does real long range shooting, so where else then the internet. Hope to be able to share what I learn and know to help others better their long range hunting skills.

Just here to learn about shooting at distance. I've been hunting my whole life (nearly 40 years now) but long range stuff has never been my gig. Thought I'd give it a try and have "built" a rifle for said purpose. If nothing else...it will become the worlds most expensive groundhog rifle if I don't get into this seriously:D

Ultimately, however, I would say that I'm here to learn and I joined (and continue to return) because everyone has been friendly and helpful. I'm a member of SEVERAL other sites as well but only spend much time on a couple these days. Too many angry A-holes on most for my tastes. So, keep up the good work folks. You've made a new guy feel welcome thus far.

When I first came here my purpose was to learn all I could about the technical aspects of long range shooting (and hunting). And for the first few years that was what the website was about. I mean that is the name of the website(for those few of us older members who can acutally read).

Now I come here less and less as more and more of the SITE is about non long range hunting/shooting things, generic hunting things I can get from Realtree.com or HuntingResource.com or Huntingnet.com( if I want a woman ) or 500 other 'hunting' websites.

The site owner has let the site go downhill seriously for whatever rea$on and the focus now is on 'who here hunts turkeys' and 27 page posts about 'tape on the end of the barrel' and 'help me find a rifle or scope or job or wife or a fender for my pickup' and NASCAR and other totally inane bs... like long range archery hunting. REALLY??? Long range archery hunting? Apparently no website is immune to pollution by the rejects from Bowsite.com.

The forum sections are now so diluted that you can post pics of your trophy rifle or trophy trophy or trophy wife in any olllld section you want regardless of the title of the seciton. Which means there is absoultely no moderators or moderation...EX$EPT if you try to sell something and site owner isnt getting his cut. Then the posts get deleted.

So in 5 or 6 yrs we have gone from a pretty darn good and organized and technical place to porridge of unrelated gruel worth less and less of my reading time.

Incident tho you didnt ask. Ive mentioned all the above before. Many times. To no avail.

Thank you for allowing my redundancies.

New info. I have learned more on this than any other. Reloading, Shooting, And ethics. Do I shoot father than 400 yds? Not now. In the future, Yes. Les has done a wonderful job. All shooters and hunters should come here. the information is great. I fought and bled for free speach and love all opinions, no matter what. And I really love heated debates. Good luck to all. Happy hunting.gun)

Well said Rich. I jioned to gain knowlege to improve my shooting skills. Thanks to all of you who so freely share your knowlege. When it comes to ethics of long range hunting, I feel that someone who has the skill and shoots at long range alot is more of an ethical hunter than the guy that shoots only during the seson and trys to shoot an animal at short range. Most all of the longer range hunters I know shoot alot and let there skill leval and conditions set there max range for a shot on an animal. I see alot of the guys who shoot a few rounds throw there rifle just before the seson then think they can shoot at an animal that is running at three to four hundred yards. Who is more ethical?

Good post Rich.

I have been addicted to this site since I found it about four years ago. I have been shooting rifles for 45 years but began pushing my range beyond 300 yards about 10 years ago. This site really helped me get proficient to 1000 yards. There is information about long rang hunting and shooting in the content and forums that you just can't get anywhere else. Add to this a group of genuinely nice people that have a lot of expertise, and a strong willingness to share it. I also get satisfaction on the rare occasions when I can add to the discussion. The few people with an agenda, or just plain jerks can surely be irritating, but they seem to be called out pretty fast, and eventually go away.
Len has done a superb job managing this site!

"The few people with an agenda, or just plain jerks can surely be irritating, but they seem to be called out pretty fast, and eventually go away."

Most of them do anyway:rolleyes:.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.