What is your purpose for being on this forum?

elkaholic

I would like to thank all of the quality guys on this forum, which 90% of you are, for all the good input, expertise, swapping stories, etc. which come from a shared interest in "long range hunting"! We don't always agree on everything, which is just fine. That all makes for good discussion. Having said that, it has become increasingly more apparent to me that there are a few people on this forum that are NOT here for that shared interest but to promote their own agendas! Some of you don't believe in the ethics of long range hunting, some of you are huggers of one form or another, etc., etc. For you, I would suggest that there are literally dozens of forums where you would fit in much better. I personally believe that Len runs the best forum of the kind "anywhere" and I don't think he needs to change a thing! There are a handful of you that should be thankful Len is in charge and not me as you would be banned! Maybe that is why I am in charge of very little in life:D. I have chosen to ignore "not respond" to certain individuals because it only gives them air time to continue with their promotion. Sometimes my dander gets up, and I don't follow my own advice! Anyway, for what it's worth, if you don't agree with the "long Range Hunting" ethic, you think there is only one ethical choice of weapon, or you think wolves do a better job of controlling game than people, etc., then you might be on the wrong forum!.....Rich

I agree 100% Rich. It is hard to "Not Feed The Pot Sirring Trolls" But sometimes it is just what we have to do to keep things straight. Sad but that is exactly what a few are here for. As for the other 90%, Thanks for your input , entertainment and allowing me to converse and learn.

Jeff gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good words Rich! FWIW, you are on my "good guy" list! :)

I am here for the following reasons:

1. To learn from others with similar and hopefully greater experience than myself.
2. To share the knowledge I have with others so they can some day share it with someone who needs it. Newbie questions often get old but at the same time they need to be answered and it's necessary at times to answer specifically and not just send them to the archives for old post info.
3. To enjoy the company of folks that have similar likes, which usually means they have similar principals and values as well ( a nice bonus).
4. And maybe the most important reason I am at LRH is because I realize that there are very few forums where you can get good, accurate, real world experience and info anymore.

I believe there are a couple reasons for this. First, because I think LRH is a bit unique in that you have to be a dedicated diehard to be good at this game. And in that regard it is harder to bluff your way through acting as an expert when in reality you are really just a wannabe computer hack. Secondly, because the quality of the majority of guys on this site are polite, kind, and honorable to others. Sure we argue and debate, strongly at times, but it is with respect. Try doing that on the HIDE or a number of other sites. They don't lack for knowledge but their behavior is embarrassing.

I have been on some really good forums over the years and all of them started out good with a group of die hard experts that willingly offered their knowledge for free to anyone that would listen and debate with respect. Unfortunately, as the popularity of these sites grew so did the arrogance and the number of wanna-be's touting experience they had little of. This site will be no different and is likely going through those growing pains right now. Len has a tough job ahead IMO, trying to balance growth, which will always bring more riffraff which ends up driving the true experienced experts away due to the disrespect and fraudulent online persona's that the riffraff brings. Unless this site is a complete anomaly or unless Len figures out a balanced but hard-line approach to dealing with this I fear that this site is going to have the same fate as many others I have seen. I hope not though as this is a valuable site and like you mentioned there are a ton of great guys here!

I think one of the best things we can do is refuse to engage with certain folks that we deem to be purposeful trouble makers. If everyone gave their opinion but did not engage the purposeful antagonistic comments we may actually get them to go away and find another forum. If not my guess will be that most guys will be able to figure out why certain guys are being ignored all the time.

There are definitely a couple groups of opinions that I would ban if it were me but as you said Rich, this isn't my site so I yield to Len and his discretion. He does a great job with this site!

So to the 90%, BRAVO! To the 10%, get real or get lost! :D You're not convincing or fooling anyone!

Scot E.

Last edited:
I'm here to learn from the pros. I have been shooting semi long range for many years. I just haven't been doing it correctly. Sometimes I wonder how I shot with any consistency beyond 400 yds. Thanks again to those that pass on their knowledge, it's priceless and feeds the addiction.

I'm here simply for the exchange of ideas and experiences in a group of individuals who share a common predilection for stretching the bounds of common sense and our wallets! gun)

I became a member here after lurking on and off because I decided it was time to stretch my comfort range of 400 yards on game so I plunked down some money for a good long range rifle and gear and started reading here for tips and info.

I am a member of quite a few online hunting/shooting forums and this is one of the most civil and knowledgeable ones out there so far.

Ditto to OP.

Many on the Forum are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I really appreciate the helpful knowledgeable responses.

Clean humane hunting at long range is what this forum is and should continue to be. Anything extra is gravy.

I appreciate that there will be those who are shooting at shorter ranges as they seek to stretch and grow their skills and as long as they are asking and receiving with civil tolerance for the forums main focus, then peace abounds.

Non Believers should please take the rhetoric elsewhere.

AMEN! Elkaholic, Broz, Scott E, Well Put! I noticed a few people aren't on the same page with the good guys! I belong to a few sites and this one has helped me more in past few months than any in the past several years. I'm kinda quiet but I'm paying attention! Keep it up guys! - Barry

I'm a member of this site because I love long range hunting. In 1971 I made a WAG at a whitetail deer which was later measured at 603 yards. I was smart enough to know that I did not know what I was doing. From that time until now I have studied the the science of long rang ballistics. When I found this site I found my new source of information. Great information on here. Thanks for this forum Len.

I would like to thank all of the quality guys on this forum, which 90% of you are, for all the good input, expertise, swapping stories, etc. which come from a shared interest in "long range hunting"! We don't always agree on everything, which is just fine. That all makes for good discussion. Having said that, it has become increasingly more apparent to me that there are a few people on this forum that are NOT here for that shared interest but to promote their own agendas! Some of you don't believe in the ethics of long range hunting, some of you are huggers of one form or another, etc., etc. For you, I would suggest that there are literally dozens of forums where you would fit in much better. I personally believe that Len runs the best forum of the kind "anywhere" and I don't think he needs to change a thing! There are a handful of you that should be thankful Len is in charge and not me as you would be banned! Maybe that is why I am in charge of very little in life:D. I have chosen to ignore "not respond" to certain individuals because it only gives them air time to continue with their promotion. Sometimes my dander gets up, and I don't follow my own advice! Anyway, for what it's worth, if you don't agree with the "long Range Hunting" ethic, you think there is only one ethical choice of weapon, or you think wolves do a better job of controlling game than people, etc., then you might be on the wrong forum!.....Rich

Also 100% in agreement. I am a relatively new at the the long range portion of shooting. My first discipline was becoming compeitive with a handgun. As I have gotten more aged, my hands have started to let me down (Arthur). As I love to shoot and shoot accurately, I found this forum recently and have been taking in as much information as possible.

Hopefully, at a later I will be able to pass this information and experience on to someone else.

I like to be able to come on here and get the help that I need. I don't think there has been one time that I have been on here asking a question that someone hasn't steered me the right way. I also like to read about those doing the long range hunting part and sharing the stories. With any luck, I will be shooting past 1k before the end of this year (hopefully accurately haha).

I also like being on here and talking to like minded individuals.

I came here as a complete NOOB to long range hunting. I have been actively hunting and shooting my entire life but my long range stuff was limited to lobbing bullets at rocks at unknown ranges and guessing holdover and windage. The feeling I got on the rare occasions when I connected got me revved up and serious. I came here to learn and try to improve my meager skills. I am learning every day and starting to make some improvements. One of these days I hope to have the confidence to take the long shots you guys are making. I have many of you to thank for helping me along and I am eternally grateful to all of you. I have learned about guns, optics, loading long range ammo, reading the wind and more on this forum.

Even when I first started reading here it was pretty easy to separate the real shooters from the "internet pros" and I pretty much ignore the huggers. When I have something I think is constructive to offer (not very often) I post it. Otherwise I try to listen and learn, I also ask questions on occasion and have usually received great responses, we all have different opinions on some things and different skill levels but I think most of us are after the same thing.

Lots of talent here, please continue to share your experience and opinions. To the other 10% I have nothing to offer.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.