What is your preference for trigger type and pull weight for long range hunting?

blvette75

I have typically hunted with triggers in the 1.7 to 3 lb range that are fairly consistent 0.2 lb variance. But with the desire to hunt at longer ranges is the cost of better triggers able to consistently reproduce a very light trigger less than a lb with non detectable variance in the pull a worthwhile investment? Thanks James

I have typically hunted with triggers in the 1.7 to 3 lb range that are fairly consistent 0.2 lb variance. But with the desire to hunt at longer ranges is the cost of better triggers able to consistently reproduce a very light trigger less than a lb with non detectable variance in the pull a worthwhile investment? Thanks James
Yes. I like my triggers 1lb or under. Groups are better.
Example: I have a Tikka with 2.5 lb trigger that if it was lighter I would be more consistent with pull.
Alot of it is determined by the weight of the rifle. A heavy pull with a light rifle is bad for me but if it was a heavier rifle with same trigger it would work better.

Hi XLR, what type of triggers do you recommend? I will visit your website. I have never used a 2 stage trigger before but have heard allow for a safety factor with the second pull being lighter.

Hi XLR, what type of triggers do you recommend? I will visit your website. I have never used a 2 stage trigger before but have heard allow for a safety factor with the second pull being lighter.
Any of them really haha! We see a lot of Trigger Techs and TImneys being used. I only use single-stage triggers but that is more of a personal preference than anything.

Well, I have triggers from 1.5 oz to 3.5lbs. All are quit shootable. Obviously the 1.5oz is a special animal.

Long range hunting is done for now at 2.2 lbs…..I'm going to experiment with that Timney down to 1.5lbs. At 2.2lbs, I am a bit anxious going much lower in the field with cold fingers. I like to feel my pull….just a bit.

That said, my 1.0 lb Jewell is an amazing trigger to pull on a 50-90deg day!

Thanks 300PRC for your input that was my thoughts on moving to a better trigger on several rifles will cost me a bit more for the triggers, do you have a brand preference?
I have never had a issue with a light trigger.. I am accustomed to "my" rifles. Now, if I throw a different person on my rifle then they get a lecture/warning and we do some dry firing.
I have fallen, etc. and my guns are on safety with no chambered round unless I'm getting reading to shoot.

Hunting Triggers are like ford, chev, dodge etc. You will find many great triggers. For simplicity I like TT Diamonds.
Below are a couple rifles I'm doing that should be done in a couple months if stocks would show-up.

I would like to try Bix and Andy Comp trigger it might be nicer? but, Trigger Tech hits a easier price point. Their price point shows in popularity.

Attachments

• 67125155181__A8AAAB8A-BDDE-4C47-8E0A-CF806DDE5FA2.jpg
    67125155181__A8AAAB8A-BDDE-4C47-8E0A-CF806DDE5FA2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 254
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
2-2.5 pound two stage is what I prefer by a lot, with 1 pound of that the second stage. Single stage I like them right at 1 pound max 1.5 pounds. I do not subscribe to the theory that it should be a surprise break. I require a trigger that I know exactly when it will break so I can trigger the shot exactly when I want to, and that drives the lighter break weight on the single stage triggers. With a few dry fire pulls I can shoot triggers up to 4-5 pounds fine but I don't like them.

I likeTrigger Tech and Jewel triggers. I like the feel of the narrow trigger on the Jewel better.. I set and keep at 12oz. and drop test and fast /hard cycle the bolt to ensure the sear is engaged.
I never have a round in the chamber unless I'm intending or likley to pull the trigger.
Even if I'm sneaking in closer I wont chamber a round until i'm set up and ready to shoot.
I'm confortable staying with a light pull b/c accidental discharge is less of a problem.

Last edited: