What is your pet loads for waterfowl?

Doghunter23

I have always just bought whatever kind of steel was available for years and years, last year I finally decided to pattern my gun, So I decided to shoot about 20 different loads through first a modified then a Full factory choke (full choke was supperior across all loads) in my Browning Maxus. After all the pellets were counted and things like pattern density and uniform pattern coverage were calculated Fiocchi Golden Goose 3.5'' 1 5/8oz #1 shot- was the clear winner in my gun.
At 40 yards the only load with more pellets was a #4 3.5 Remington load But there were large holes in the pattern, and I think #1 shot has a lot more energy than #4. I am lucky the ammo my gun likes relatively inexpensive, so now I have two cases.:)
As a side note I didn't shoot any Hevi-shot as I am not rich!
On one of my last trips out I dropped a giant Canada at about 45 yards, didn't even twitch that tells me I should have patterned my gun long ago...

I agree that the HeviMetal is awesome especially price wise. I have really
enjoyed using the Hevi X 3" 2's this past season. I will sometimes opt
for the Hevishot Duck loads

I've been shooting 28 gauge #4 Hevi-Shot Bismuth for ducks the last two seasons. Drops them just as well as my 3" 12 gauge and a lot more fun to carry and shoot. I hunt mostly for woodies and mallards in timber with most shots inside of 40 yards.

Get a FULL choke....I just shoot Trulock normal extended. I have tried my buddies stupid expensive "super chokes" of about a dozen varieties. Just me....my lowly Trulock works just as good. I have tried and patterned almost all the bling bling loads they offer in 3" BB, #1, #2, #4 I also shot them and tracked results in notebook for a season. I even reloaded some bismuth because I was not going to pay the insane price for it. It worked better but there is not a duck/goose worth spending that kind of money on for me. Bottom line is I kill just as many birds at the same distance with the cheapest loads on sale. Winchester, Fiochi, or anything I can get. Luckily I had bought a lot, and the most I paid was 13 a box for 3" 12ga. I will be out after this season so who knows what I will pay.

For decoy work in the field for ducks and geese I love the Hevi shot in my 28 gauge over and under. If one is patient and trys to get them in close this load absolutely stones them!

In my 20 stack gun I like Federal's 3" with number 1's.

If I use my 12 Benelli then I'm usually using 3" and number two's

I'll quantify with saying that I've come to the age that I don't have any interest in taking ducks and geese outside of 25 yards and to me the buzz is getting them as close as possible b4 I take them.

For decoy work in the field for ducks and geese I love the Hevi shot in my 28 gauge over and under. If one is patient and trys to get them in close this load absolutely stones them!

In my 20 stack gun I like Federal's 3" with number 1's.

If I use my 12 Benelli then I'm usually using 3" and number two's

I'll quantify with saying that I've come to the age that I don't have any interest in taking ducks and geese outside of 25 yards and to me the buzz is getting them as close as possible b4 I take them.
Makes me laugh....my buddy only shoots 2 3/4 and does just fine. He shoots a pump and hates the extra recoil of the 3". I dont want to shoot my O/U with 3's for the same reason. Give me my gas gun....thank you very much. Funny thing is I have a pump with #6 bird loads (cheaper the better) for swatting cripples before they get into the current. Dog hates me when he has to run around all the toolies to bring a bird back after going down stream

Any 1400-1500 fps load with a wad restricting choke. I prefer Kent Faststeel three inch #3's 1 1/4 ounce with a Patternmaster choke. I am old enough to have killed many ducks with lead and this combination is almost as good.

Winchester Supreme Drylok 3" #3s and Remington Nitro Steel 3" #3s or #4s are my go to in the early 90s Auto-5 Mag Stalker.

Now it's 2 3/4" 5/8oz of #9 TSS in a Browning Citori or a Tristar G2 Viper Bronze 28ga

I shoot a lot of birds and guide folks to others. Switched a year and a half ago to Boss shells from using both Black Cloud and Heavy Metal. Wont be going back.

My go to is their 3" offering with a mix of 3's and 5's.

Last year Rodgers had a close out special on federal heavy weight shot shells. I bought a pallet of 10 gauge 2oz of 7s at 1300 fps. 15g density. According to federal heavy weight 7s have more energy at 50 yards than a lead 5 at 40 yards. I have seen 100s of clean ethical kills over 100 yards on ducks and geese. I am a true believer in heavy weight and tss shot. I understand you do not need a 10 ga to hunt ducks and geese. Once you shoot HW or TSS on waterfowl it's hard to shoot anything else. Yes it's that much better than lead.