What is your favorite sling?

I like both the TAB Gear and Mystery Ranch slings. I use the Mystery Ranch on pack hunts and the TAB Gear when pushing hardwoods.

The rubber sling suggested in the first post is by far the nicest sling for carrying a rifle I have used. It wont slide, you can split it and wear it like a backpack with a heavy rifle and you wont know its there. I used traditional 1917 style slings in service rifle competition. They work great for prone and sitting position if you cant use a bipod. I dont want one on a rifle I am carrying for miles. If I have the time needed to sling up, I have the time to build an even better position with a bipod or over a pack. I have a TAB gear, turner, multiple others, and only the rubber sling goes on hunting rifles.

Recently I have been using the Safari Sling on both my deer and elk rifles. Growing up and hunting in Western Oregon, where split seconds and quick shots can make the difference between filling your tag or not, I always carried my sling in my hunting pack to use AFTER notching my tag. I disciplined myself to carrying the rifle ready and although painful at times, has attributed to a multitude of successful hunts over the years.

Lots of guys in our hunting camp walk around with their rifles slung over their shoulders and invariably we here stories every year of "I saw a buck, but just couldn't get a shot off in time"

Little thing add up.

Since severing my left bicep in a dirt bike accident, I no longer have the strength to carry this way any more. The Safari Sling has allowed me to still carry in ready position all day long but without having to bear the weight of the rifle with my arms. For $20 give it a try.
Agree ! Grew up hunting W OR, now hunt E OR, and quick shots are needed both sides. The first year I switched to Safari it got me a 6-pt bull that busted out of bed at 30 yds. I NEVER in God's world would've had a chance with a regular sling, no mater how fancy or expensive.

While it's not a "sling" I've used a Kifaru Gun Bearer for several years when carrying a backpack. The Hypalon butt pocket attaches to one side of the pack's waist belt and the top part is a Velcro wrap on the pack shoulder strap with a QR buckle on a web strap that goes around the rifle barrel or fore arm. It releases instantly and is absolutely the best way to carry a rifle with a backpack and get it into play fast.

I have my Gun Bearer set up so it rests at an angle, scope down. It carries best this way.

Eric B.

All of those fancy adjustable slings have buckles and strap adjusters made out of plastic or metal. Those things will eventually clank again your rifle, or binos, or pack buckle and scare the game. I make my own Safari slings a loop in the end of a luggage strap with a Speedy Stitcher Awl. I run an old boot lace through the loop for the parts that go around the barrel and stock and tie it to get the length I like. The sling is practically free, totally quiet, and very comfortable. I haven't made a snap shot in years (but I could), but I love the comfort of this sling. It puts the weight on a different point than your pack straps. I agree with Wheeler co that if you have time to use the sling as a shooting aid, you probably have time to sit down and use the shooting sticks.

All of those fancy adjustable slings have buckles and strap adjusters made out of plastic or metal. Those things will eventually clank again your rifle, or binos, or pack buckle and scare the game. I make my own Safari slings a loop in the end of a luggage strap with a Speedy Stitcher Awl. I run an old boot lace through the loop for the parts that go around the barrel and stock and tie it to get the length I like. The sling is practically free, totally quiet, and very comfortable. I haven't made a snap shot in years (but I could), but I love the comfort of this sling. It puts the weight on a different point than your pack straps. I agree with Wheeler co that if you have time to use the sling as a shooting aid, you probably have time to sit down and use the shooting sticks.
My kind of guy...make your own! One step better for a rest is a light camara tripod ...make your own yoke. You can buy them for $5 to $25 ...or pay $100 because it says " made for hunting". Tie a carabiner , snap on your belt at side, so now with your safari sling both hands are free to use binocs...or quick shot. This may be too much information for some still wet behind the ears.

Just re-read my 1st post and caught a mistake. The brand of my sling is Magpul (not MSR - they make backpacking stoves and sleep mattresses.)

**I may coat the underside of my Magpul nylon sling with SHOE GOO to give it more "gription" so it will better stay on my shoulder. Did it with another sling and it works well. SHOE GOO is a clear shoe mending "caulk" that wears like iron.

@mnoland, My shooting sticks are my hiking poles. I've taught myself how to rapidly loop the wrist straps over each pole handle for a rifle support. There's a strap twisting trick so they don't slip.
I've practiced shooting from them. Very stable and absolutely necessary for long shots where I have no other good rest.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Years ago when still used a shoulder sling, I sewed a big button, like field jacket button, on the right shoulder of shirts and jackets worn. Sometimes when I need a walking stick, extend one leg of my tripod and it works as a monopod for a quick shot on the trail.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts