What is your favorite rifle in your arsenal?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Remmy700, Sep 8, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Sounds like nice rifles.....what is the weight of each? memtb

2. jshepherd61

jshepherd61 Well-Known Member

C2AC5D30-FD67-4C90-A296-C9615CADE79B.jpeg
    Custom Winchester LRH in 7mm STW 168gr Accubond Long Range at 3,352 FPS Bartlien 28” sendaro contour

3. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Nice “goat”! Should score pretty good, as it appears that the “cutters” are pretty close to twice the height of the ear! memtb

4. MT6creed

MT6creed New Member

Proof Bull carbon 6creedmoor, MPA hybrid chassis, Bighorn TL3, trigger tech diamond, silencerco omega, Ckye pod, Nightforce 7-35 ATACR Mil-XT.

Total rifle weight with can, bipod, and mag just under 15lbs. Heavy for hunting purposes, but a great light weight long range coyote gun or competition rig.

Attached Files:

5. Thescandinavian

Thescandinavian Active Member

With this being a long range forum it is probably blasphemy to say 450 Marlin bolt rifle on a Winchester M70 action and a nor-pac barrel.
    Wider wounding with less meat damage is hard to come by and nothing survived.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  6. Eagleye242

Eagleye242 Member

The 8mm weighs 9.7 lbs, the Norma mags are very close at 9.5 lbs.

memtb likes this.
  7. chindits

chindits Member

C0C72C47-EA83-44F0-A32D-AF06EA706D6E.jpeg A mid 1990s Walmart Winchester model 70 in archaic .270

8. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Those are pretty reasonable “carry weights” for hunting rifles! Nice rigs! memtb

Frenchie1 likes this.
  9. bubbaonpc

bubbaonpc Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Ruger #1. 7 mag with Boss. You can buy or make your own and the ole girl will shoot em. If I get frustrated dialing in a new cartridge...I grab the 7mm from 1970 and she still hits the same POI. I know... I know...why do any of us swap guns.....

10. Eagleye242

Eagleye242 Member

Thank you! They are light enough to carry, but heavy enough that the recoil is manageable.

memtb likes this.
  11. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Yep! Much the same with my 9# 375 AI, though to be completely honest, “when shooting from the bench I wish it were 2 pounds heavier and when carrying up and down mountains....I wish it were 2 pounds lighter”! So.....I guess it’s pretty much ideal! ;) memtb

tt35, villagelightsmith and Frenchie1 like this.
  12. Ronald W Schaefer

Ronald W Schaefer Well-Known Member

Two gun safes full and I mostly use a little Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion my kids grew up shooting in 7mm-08 with Zeiss Conquest scope. I won it in a drawing at Ducks Unlimited in 1990. I run 145 gr Barnes LRX thru it and it truly has over 70 one shot DRT kills mostly in the hands of my kids growing up and now nephews and various youth and ladies. I call it my "pocket rifle" because its so short lightweight and handy...as a gentleman of a certain age I got tired of carrying 10 Lb rifles. A couple other well used are my old "Nell" .300 Wby Mag (47 y/o just made a trip to Africa out of nostalgia and yep that sucker was heavy) and a Sauer 90 in 30-06 with German glass that I bought in Germany just because it was such a beautiful rifle and was on sale for 750.00 in 1988. Google the cost of that rifle now:)! I just upgraded my 7 aught 8 to a Fierce Firearms, CT Carbon Edge w 22" bbl and 5lb weight--get 2850 with that same load out of it...I'm callin' that good.

13. villagelightsmith

villagelightsmith Active Member

I'd be embarrassed to tell anyone how many guns I've got. My wife helped me inventory them and I still don't know. Special purpose guns from "Heffalumps" & Grizz to flies, to mere points that lie hidden 'neath a crosshair on the paper. But the go-to grabbit-gun is a J.C.Higgins Husqvarna lightweight HVA (Small-ring mouser[sic]) in '06. Pencil barrel with no danmed brake. Wears an ancient Leupold. Cost $300, still worth $200, wouldn't take $800, 'cuz no, it just ain't for sale. Plenty of nicks and fence or rock-cuts. Patina. Plain factory stock with a nice thick hacksaw & epoxy'd sissy-pad off an old trap-gun. Soft kicker. If that won't kill it, it don't need killin'. Next to it is Pop's old 1st year M70 with an old Weaver, side mounted, similarly abused. But the li'l Husky-Higgins is easier to carry. Cheap too. If anybody's got a spare '06 barrel, I'm lookin' to make a 35 Whelan for it.

Hse0785, djm670 and memtb like this.
  14. Toydy

Toydy Well-Known Member

At the moment it's my 28 Nosler, proof 28 inch 8.25 twist in XLR Evolution chasis, now wearing a Swarovski Z6 3-18, 175 eldx going 3150fps

Attached Files:

Clem Bronkoski and jacknifejc like this.