what is your favorite LR broadhead?

+1 on ontarget2. I have archer's advantage and ontarget...I like ontarget better. very inexpensive and well worth the money.

Frogman77

With my current hunting setup I can shoot out to 65yards and hold 2" groups or less with broadheads and usually stack my field tips together. no exaggeration.....

WOW!!! Unbelievable.

Our Olympic archery team could use talented people like you.

One thing I might add to your tuning tips: When bareshaft tuning NEVER USE broadheads. A potentially dangerous act.

Additional tuning tips can be found on ArcheryTalk.Com and Bowsite.Com. Some real tuning guru's hang out there.

I am shooting 100 steel force phatheads, group very well for me out of a 305 fps set up, I have shot about a dozen different blades. My hunting set up is only broadheads # and tested all, IF IT DOESNT group it wont make it in the quiver

We cant use expandable broadheads in Oregon, but I tried everything from the cheapo Bi-mart specials, tothe spendy Muzzy 3 and 4 blades. Not 1 even came close to the SHUTTLE-T LOCK! Those broadheads shoot like my field points almost identicle.

Howdy, one that I have been using is what was the rocky mountain gator from basspro now they are the redhead gator. I Have harvested a mule deer at 92 and antelope at 94 and 42 and plenty of whitetails at closer range they shoot the same as the feild points and leave a massive wound channel. Critters never travel far after one of these thru the boiler room. Now on sale at bass pro for 19.95 for three I bought 20 packages last year because there was talk that the were being discontinued but I see this year redhead has taken over the gator name and they look exactly the same so hopefully they bought the patent rights and will keep them in production.

Joe

Slick trick broadheads, are easily the best shooting fixed blade broadhead for accuracy and they leave blood trails you can drive a truck down! After tuning broadheads in a proshop for the last 4 years, these have been the most consistent and easiest to tune out of a variety of setups! One of the major factors in this is the shortness of the head! It doesn't change the FOC of the arrow the way longer heads do! Shuttle T heads are great as well, however the lack of wents in the blade do cause them to plane a little bit due to catching more air! Out of a well tuned bow the Shuttle T's are fantastic and choot incredibly well. Slick Tricks take less tuning for and are more forgiving than any fixed blade out there!

Thus far I have had the best luck with NAP Spitfire XP 100gr.
No failed openings. No broken blades. Devastating wound channels.
I have seen a rib cut into, like a laser beam slit it.
All hits have passed all the way through deer, and stuck in the ground.

Arrows with the Spitfires fly true, like field points.

I have tested the NAP Spitfire XP for durability against other quality mechanical broadheads against racks of beef ribs, and found them to be the most durable.

100 grain G5 Fixed blade Stryker has never let me down. Flies like just like my field tips very sharp and incredible penetration. 400 grain axis arrows Mathews LX 28.5 70lbs.

100 Grain G5 Striker 3 blade. Flies true and is nasty on impact. Unscrew your field points and throw them on. Never move a pin. Just a great broadhead. I shoot out to 80 with them. 350 gr carbon maxima, blazer veins.:)

I would suggest trying more than one broadhead to meet your needs. The engineers at PSE archery have explained that when shooting long distances of 50 to 100 yards, the heavier a broadhead is the more it magnifies flight problems. This means that unless you are perfectly paper tuned with your arrows a heavy head will cause more flight anomalies.

For deer hunting a 100 grain head is usually more than sufficient. Non mechanical heads generally have less that can go wrong on impact or penetrating bone.

I shot an 80lb doe at 62yrs on at a walk, It when in the rear quarter and came out the front sholder on the other side. complete pass threw. deer went only 40 yrds. Thunderhead 100gr. shot three 2 other deer that yr with the bow all pass threw. All flew nice:cool:

100 grain 3 blade Muzzy's have worked fine for me. On my current bow setup, very similar point of impact to 100 yards as my field points.

Looking for the best lr broad head, fixed blade or mechanical? 100 or 125 grain? I know 125 would probably buck wind better

I use a 1 piece machined broadhead 100 grain G5 Montec. I get them to fly like my field points. They are durable and blow through bone. I just clean them spin test and sharpen them after a kill.

I also shoot a 1 piece machined Teflon coated Woodsman Elite in 150 grains.

They fly great and are durable as well. I will shoot them out of my PSE Tac this season.

No matter what anybody says, if you can get a broadhead to fly accurately for you and you like it, then you can use it.

These crossbows produce so much kinetic energy on impact that they almost always blow through an animal even if it's all the way through from fron to back. The length of the deer as opposed to going through side to side.

I've seen arrows from these crossbows go straight through a 2" x 4" from the 4" side, so I'd say they'll probably blow through just about anything on 4 legs.

Jon