What is your favorite .300RUM load?

Gone Ballistic

For the past six to seven weeks, as I have perused every available reloading supplier available to me, both locally and on the internet. I haven't been able to find any reloading supplies for the .300 Remington Ultra Mag. Actually, I'm referring to brass and bullets over 180 grains. This suggests to me that there are a tremendous amount of folks that are loading for and shooting this exceptional caliber.
I had a custom rifle built for me in this caliber and now I'm having regrets. It is the first specific long range shooter that I have ever owned. I have been trying to play with different powders and loads but, all of a sudden, every 200+ grain 30 caliber bullet is gone and brass has disappeared. So, I would like to know how many of you have done the difficult task to work up some great loads for long range shooting and would you like to share your findings with me and the rest of us?
Oh, right now, my best load is 96.2gr of Magnum, 215 Federal primer and 200gr. Nosler Accubond loaded in Nosler brass. Out of my 30"barrel at 4320 ft. of elevation it's averaging 3286fps.

Last edited:
My go to load was 89 gr Retumbo and the 210 Berger with CCI 250 primer. It has shot well in every 300 ultra I have tried.

My three favorite loads in my rum are:
165gr Hornady GMX
CCI 240M. primer
79gr IMR 4350
3380fps

210gr Sierra Matchking
Rem 9 1/2m primer
94gr Retumbo
3170fps

240gr Sierra Matchking
Rem 9 1/5m primer
86.5gr Retumbo
2820fps.

I've had excellent results with a 180 Scirocco over a max charge of all 3: Re25, H1000, and Retumbo. I've also got a load with the 200 Accubond over Retumbo as well. I think it is about 1 grain under max.

Haven't had time to play with the 180 accubonds, 185 VLDs, or 210 VLDs.

By the way, you need to call powdervalleyinc.com or go online and order some Berger 210 Hunting vlds. I just went to their website. They have them in stock. I called and he has 20 boxes in stock.

Better hurry because I'm going to buy some too and I buy a lot!

Mine shot the 208 Amax w/92.5 gr Retumbo very well. If you need brass and bullets we've got teh 210 bergers as well as some Nosler 300 RUM brass. Although I never shot the bergers I would imagine that same load would work w/them.

I've had excellent results with a 180 Scirocco over a max charge of all 3: Re25, H1000, and Retumbo. I've also got a load with the 200 Accubond over Retumbo as well. I think it is about 1 grain under max.

Haven't had time to play with the 180 accubonds, 185 VLDs, or 210 VLDs.

Derek M.
Thanks for the info! Will be online with them shortly. Have any of you folks tried loading Magnum powder? I found the pressures quite high when I loaded beyond 96.8gr. with a 200gr Accubond. The powder has a consistencey similar to Mag-Pro so it pours and measures quite precise. I'd also like to know how folks feel about crimping their rounds when loading to SAMI lengths.

200 Gr. Accubond and H1000 have been good to me.

If you are really in a brass bind PM me. I bet I have 300 pieces of once fired Federal nickel plated that came out of a buddy's rifle. If you want to try some you can have them if you pay shipping or pick up if you're in the area at all.

I bought a bunch of Federal primed new 300 RUM back when a supplier had them some years ago.

Still haven't used them. I think I'd rather use Fed or Nosler over Rem brass.

I have always used Rem brass and always gad good luck, I have 15 pieces that I only use for load development and just loaded them again yesterday for the 8th time, the primer pockets are probably done for after this time but I consider 8 loads quit good. They only grow about 1/1000" per firing which ain't bad.

Camshaft, do you turn the necks? That is one of the biggest issues I have with Remmy brass. No brass is perfect but Remmy seems to have quite a bit of runout and asymmetry with wall thickness. But, I admit the last time I did a lot of those checks was about 10 years ago.

Since I hunt the little white tails here in VA, big ones are around 175 dressed, but the norm is around 120, I worked up a load using the 165gr Hornady SST, and Retumbo powder. It is a slightly reduced load, since my dad wanted to use it, and I didn't want to pound his shoulder. It will shoot 1/4"@100yds all day, every day. Load is: Rem brass, Remington 9 1/2M primer, 92.4gr of Retumbo, 165gr Hornady SST, seated to cannelure, not crimped.
I can't say what terminal performance is like, as the two deer I have shot so far, have been neck shots. Exit hole on those, after breaking the neck bones, was about half dollar sized.

I am getting ready to try some 165gr GameKings from Sierra in mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.