What is your best deer rifle

Yep, know what you mean. Had my 700 in .270 Win. since 1974. 130 grain bullets is it's favorite and it's simply a "Death Ray". In the mid '80's I put it into a Brown Precision stock, bedded it and it shoots .250" MOA all day long. I have quite a few other calibers to choose from but my Rem 700 .270 is the tried and true champ!

EASTERN HUNTING-> .308 Savage 99 C - best deer rifle ever made. Used it in Penna. for many years W/165 gr. Sierra bullets . Strongest lever action design ever, better than my former .308 Browning BLR.

WESTERN HUNTING-> 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator - excellent accuracy and many aftermarket upgrades available. Now that I live in Nevada I need a cartridge with REACH. Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X cartridges. Mine has a Timmy trigger and Boyd's Classic laminated stock & Savage 110 metal trigger guard.

Eric B.

P3300359.JPG

Model 7 MS .257 Roberts from the Custom Shop. Bought it the first year they came out.

LAW Professional Model 6.5 Creedmoor.

EASTERN HUNTING-> .308 Savage 99 C - best deer rifle ever made. Used it in Penna. for many years W/165 gr. Sierra bullets . Strongest lever action design ever, better than my former .308 Browning BLR

Eric B.

View attachment 102042

I agree the Savage 99 is a marvel of a platform. My father has one in .250 Savage... which might infact be THE ultimate deer rifle. The strongest lever action(?!) it is not. I don't know why I'm pointing this out - it's common knowledge that the BLR uses locking lugs (like a bolt action) and is designed with much higher operating pressures (65,000psi on a magnum boltface) in mind than the 99. So much of your post resonated with me, I felt compelled to point out the factual error. I very much agree it depends on where, and for me even what deer I'm hunting.

For filling antlerless tags, my tikka .223 is possibly best. Does the job and only turns 1 or two ribs into dog food.

For the woods, my 18.5" BLR in .308 works pretty well, but no better than a model 94 in 30-30.

On the prairies, I'm thinking it'll be a Model 70 .270 win (I say thinking because I haven't actually harvested a deer with it yet, maybe this will be the year)

I generally try to use the best available tool for the job, and for me it's about the journey. Perhaps in 20years I'll have best and storied deer rifle I can submit, I'd really like that!

Until then I'll read from those who have slain far more deer than I.

OK "Skills", I find that the Savage 99 was made to handle 50,000 psi, which is short of my former Browning BLRs 65,500 psi rating.

Since the 99 is basically a falling block action I'm wondering why it would not take the same 65,500 psi as the BLR?
Does that block (bolt) bend under pressure?
Does something happen to the camming lock of the lever action?

Surely the receiver is not wimpy, so why the difference?

I'm re-barreling my 99 with a Bartlein 5R rifled octagonal barrel and may go to 6.5 Creedmoor instead of its current .308. I have used medium then fine fire lapping paste to make the rear of the 99's bolt have full contact with the receiver. It changes headspace a tiny bit but that will be readjusted with the new barrel.

For some reason my 99's trigger is amazingly crisp with no creep. Someone must have worked on it.

Eric B.
P.S. With CNC design and machining and modern, Ruger-style temperature controlled receiver investment casting I feel the Savage 99 could be re-ontroduced with considerable savings over the old manually controlled machining of the 99s of the past.
Investment cast the receiver like Ruger does for theirs and merely polish it up without expensive machining except in a few places internally, which can be done quickly, perfectly and inexpensively with CNC machines.

Last edited:
@Litehiker apparently there are issues with the bolt itself compressing during ignition and springing back on the now fired brass. This can make for difficult extraction, and increases the risk of case head separation. This was less of a problem after Savage began heat treating the receivers in 1920somethig. I've never seen evidence of 'action stretching' on a 99, but I have in other old lever guns. The fact stands, a front locking action is stronger than a rear locking action.

Your're lucky to have a good trigger, both 99 and blr trigger are pretty easy to work on, but it takes an artist to make them break like glass. I think your 99 would make a great 6.5 CM. if headspaced properly, and you observe maximums in the load manuals, it should enjoy a long life. Just don't go chasing velocity and/or pressure signs. Honestly, I treat my BLR the same - one skill I hope never to acquire is removing a stuck case from a lever gun.

Recent Posts