What is your best deer rifle

Tikka T3 Forrest in 260 Rem. Personally upgraded all the usual things over the summer and threw a NXS 2.5-10x42 on it keeping it light. It's now an extremely accurate close friend and my new go to rifle.

You prefer one for personal and another for guiding? What's the differ nice in how you prefer a rifle?

There IS a difference in a guide rifle as opposed to a hunting rifle.....at least to me! As an Outfitter/Guide, when I have to shoot, something has gone wrong! As in, my hunter has made a bad shot and we have a wounded deer, probably on the run! In this case I want as much "knock down" power as possible in that situation! I've used a 264WM as a guide rifle for over 30 years. I had Mr Kleinguenther build me a 300 Wby Mag in the late 1980s as a guide rifle for Mexico Whitetail. When I've had to follow up one of my hunters with a killing shot, these have both worked well for me.

Last edited:
Here's my best deer rifle....7mm Remington mag. Model 700. Really likes most anything. Shooting 168 Nosler accubond LR over H1000. Running them at 2975. She's my newest also. Bought it to lighten up from my Sendero. Just changed stocks, free floated barrel and bedded with Devcon.

Attachments

• IMG_20171204_210846049_LL.jpg
    IMG_20171204_210846049_LL.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 155
  • 1135.jpeg
    1135.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 161
I dont know about "best" deer rifle but the best one I have ever used is my Weatherby Mk V Ultralight 257 WTBY Mag. Accurate as can be and it just turns the deers light switch off :)

When I'm hunting several of my favorite areas with ranges over 300 to 500 yards I use my 6.5x284 Christensen Arms Ridgeline, loaded with 140 Berger VLD's! When I'm pushing through hardwoods I carry my Savage 99F in 7.62mm.

My best would be my newest a sako finnlight in 270wsm
My luckiest would have to be a beat up old Win. 70 in 270 ; hunted with it for 25 years and it just seems to find deer can't explain it, its just lucky

My favorite deer rifle is my 6.5 WSM built by a local smith. This year I carried my elk gun to the stand since it has been lonely in the safe and hasn't seen any game in the last 2 trips to Colorado. Dropped this guy in his tracks at 290yds on the first Saturday here in PA. 7LRM on a Savage action, 175 Berger Elites at 3100. JRResized_20171202_085429(1)(2).jpeg

Favorite would probably be an old Ruger M77 MkII in 30-06. It was a Christmas gift from my dad and I killed the majority of my deer with that rifle. Kick myself in the *** pretty regularly for selling it. Wasn't scary accurate or anything else but it always got the job done. Would trade my custom in a heartbeat for that rifle just for the sentimental value since my old man isn't here anymore.