What is your average hunting shot distance?

What is your average hunting shot and personal limit?

• 0-100

Votes: 34 11.8%
  • Sub-300

Votes: 115 40.1%
  • Sub-500

Votes: 81 28.2%
  • 500 plus average

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • 0-200 limit

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 200-300 limit

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 300-400 limit

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • 400-600 limit

Votes: 72 25.1%
  • 600-800 limit

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • 800+ limit

Votes: 29 10.1%

• Total voters
Average is inside 50 yards. I feel pretty comfortable out to about 450. The longest I have ever needed to take was just over 300. If it was the trophy of a life time and I didn't think we were going to get a better shot I don't think I would have any issues shooting out to about 750 on deer size game.

That might be a difficult question for older guys -I know it is for me. I know that it is somewhere between 3 and 870 yards. Longest shot on an elk was at 870 yards (one-shot kill with STW 160Gr BTHP back in the mid '80's). Closest shot on an elk was also successful, at about 3 yards in a snow storm (early 60's on our old ranch property in Lincoln Montana (with the 250 Savage if I remember right)). I have no idea what the average is, but many shots have been under 100 yards, especially in earlier times. And many shots were over 500 -especially in the last 40 years. As time progressed, so did the rifles, the bullets, and the number of shots I would pass up. -Best guess at an average is 200 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, Wyoming and Idaho for us....if it's not archery, shot opportunities are generally pretty far. If you hunt the timber with a rifle where shots are generally sub 300 yards, the shots are also generally very rushed, so I would rather take a slow 800 yard shot than an off hand, running elk in the timber at 80 yards.....
Yup first time calling elk during bow season, terrible job too lol, I got them within 20 feet. All the game here read the regulations. Rifle season isn't as close.

Here is my recent memory of shots I, my son, my daughter, father or wife have taken. We shoot a lot of long range steel in the wind to practice which in a lot of cases is more fun than hunting. There is always good food and wine involved afterwards as we usually do it in central AZ near AZ wine country. I would say 90% of these shots were taken in the early morning where no wind call was necessary. All these shots were one shot kills except the 934 Coues and the 500 yard Eland. My grown son fired 2 times before that Coues was hit. The first shot was a miss because the deer took about 3 steps to the next bush to feed as the trigger broke, always a danger shooting this far. Up until that the deer has stayed feeding at a single bush for minutes. The second shot hit the center line angling across from last rib on the right side exiting the left point of the shoulder. The first shot on the Eland was spot on but Eland are huge and I felt the need to shoot a second time. Shooting far in a lot of wind is not my bag so to say, it is too risky. Up to about 8 mph can usually be managed but in broken country even 8 mph can get really tricky. Most of the shots on the plains game were in very open flat areas where we could call wind much easier. Most of those shots were in 3-5mph wind. There was no wind on the Eland shot. Most of these shots were taken using a G7 BR2 as a basis of ranging and wind setup with a Kestrel for immediate wind check. We just went to Africa so I thought it would be fun to include those. Usually shots in Africa are much closer but we were hunting in the Free State that has a lot of areas that look like eastern Wyoming.

For my money I'd rather be 300-500 on Coues for rifle shots. Its far enough they don't get spooky and one can set up carefully for the shot and its close enough to minimize wind issues. On elk, well they are huge so getting in the vitals is easier so longer shots with enough rifle and the right rifle in open country is not an issue for me. Where we usually hunt elk it is prairie country so shots tend to be long. Since hunting in Africa several times I have changed my aiming points on game. My going in position is to half the animal then aim at the middle of the lower half right on the leg shading towards the back of the bone on side shots. On angled shots my archery shooting has made me think very carefully about the vitals angle before pulling the trigger but I still shoot in that lower half. Shooting high behind the shoulder is absolutely out the window for us as it can end badly, especially with archery. In the right circumstance a forward high shoulder shot is the medicine of the day when it can be made and you want the animal to DRT and not run. I've never seen anything shot in the high forward shoulder run off, its anchored everything.

Coues
340​
7mm STW
Coues
322​
7mm STW
Coues
678​
7mm LRM
Coues
782​
300 WSM
Coues
743​
6.5 PRC
Coues
512​
300 WSM
Coues
512​
7mm LRM
Elk
1092​
7mm LRM
Elk
395​
300 WSM
Coues
934​
7mm LRM
Coues
340​
6.5 PRC
Coues
295​
7mm LRM
Coues
460​
6.5 PRC
Coues
450​
7mm LRM
Coues
500​
280 REM
Coues
695​
7mm LRM
Coues
344​
300 WSM
Coues
602​
7mm STW
Coues
713​
300 WSM
Coues
448​
6.5 PRC
White Blesbok
499​
6.5 PRC
Common Blesbok
494​
6.5 PRC
Eland
500​
6.5 PRC
Black Wildebeest
305​
6.5 PRC
Zebra
235​
6.5 PRC
Springbok
235​
6.5 PRC
Waterbuck
230​
6.5 PRC
Average
505.7407​
Great write up! Thank you!

22 yards bow
50 +- handgun
100 muzzleloader
350 rifle
Limit on varmints - got to see them to shoot them
Limit on big game 600 depending on conditions. Would shoot farther if still day and enough room for follow up insurance shot.

Hello good people, looking at several of you talking I thought I was out when it started with elk 😁 . So I hunt in North Florida given that, this can be from 25 - 30 yards on out to not gonna chance it. But I think the question was about the shot distance. I'm good to 300 yards on animals have played a lot more on paper. And of coarse it depends on the round and all other figures. Or a country boy cold bore shot at the moment.

I don't know if a average is applicable for me. I can give a range I'm setup and practice for but environmental conditions always dictate the shot. Also where I hunt plays a factor. I live in the west and long shots are a present most of the time. In Alaska they are mostly point blank to 350 yards.
So for me it's 0 to 1000+ for a wide average.

And no matter what the distance - most important is the type of shot you have. If you have a solid base - know the distance, wind, drop - as in uphill or downhill) and how calm you are (having practiced the type of distance -and are mentally confident) - then you can consider a longer shot.

If you are standing - or not firmly based - don't try to go beyond the distance where you know you can hit the vital zone.

As for shooting targets, not paper so much as milk jugs and pumpkins, reactive targets.,,I've been rediscovering how much more fun it is to try hitting them from a ways out with dad's iron sighted .30-30 compared to how boring it can be with the scoped 300 win mag.
Know your limits is awesome LR training for me. I dont need a Win 52 or a Voodoo with Eley ammo just give me one of my Savage or Ruger 22's and a box of 550 and I get hours and hours of great practice and dont go broke.

Currently with perfect atmospheric conditions and the perfect situation my max for Deer/Elk/Antelope 800yds rifle, 70yds bow. Reality is I just dont have to or want to take some longer shots. My max one shot kills so far are Elk 520, Deer 684, Antelope....exactly 800 yards. I had to back up to the next hill to get the exact 800 yards, and my buddy thought I was crazy. The situation was perfect and I wanted one at my max yardage. That was two years ago, and I;m pretty sure I will be capable of 900 this next year if not 1000yds. When I do that I'm done with a rifle goals, and then going after my 100 yard bow kill goals.

Last edited: