What is this round?

I found this old round at a customers home this past week. Husband was a reloader but I don't think this is a hunting round. Any ideas? Look at end of round . has 42 stamped on it.
Definitely NOT a round of ammunition:
  • The case appears to be a fired .50BMG
  • The "bullet" is not a bullet.
  • A real .50 cal bullet would fit into the casing (just like any other bullet fits into the casing of whatever round it is) and no .50 cal bullet from 1942 would have been made of steel (AP had a steel core, but had a copper alloy jacket to engage the rifling.
  • Not a military dummy round because those didn't have a fired primer.
As others have suggested, the "bullet" appears likely to be a cap that is meant to be pulled off or screwed off to reveal something... perhaps a pen, perhaps a lighter, maybe just a space to stash something.

I found this old round at a customers home this past week. Husband was a reloader but I don't think this is a hunting round. Any ideas? Look at end of round . has 42 stamped on it.
Reassembled cartridge with a cap on the bullet. Caps were red and were probably used to identify the connecting end of an ammo belt.

Definitely NOT a round of ammunition:
  • The case appears to be a fired .50BMG
  • The "bullet" is not a bullet.
  • A real .50 cal bullet would fit into the casing (just like any other bullet fits into the casing of whatever round it is) and no .50 cal bullet from 1942 would have been made of steel (AP had a steel core, but had a copper alloy jacket to engage the rifling.
  • Not a military dummy round because those didn't have a fired primer.
As others have suggested, the "bullet" appears likely to be a cap that is meant to be pulled off or screwed off to reveal something... perhaps a pen, perhaps a lighter, maybe just a space to stash something.
Thank you all for replying to my above post. this morning I disassembled it and found the following.
1) projectile portion is steel ( magnetic ) and fits over neck of shell
2) it is a fired round that has been made into a lighter as several members have stated.

3) mic'ed it out for the several members who wanted the specs
20.28mm at head, tapered case to 18.64mm just before neck, 14.3mm at neck, 99.56mm
length ( head to neck )
couple more pictures are attached for you guys
Again Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• lighter 1.jpg
    lighter 1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 80
  • lighter 2.jpg
    lighter 2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 75