what is this cals capabilities?

EAV

I have been shooting and longer ranges for a couple years now, and have started to consider using this skill to harvest game. While most of my hunts involve walking through thick western WA forest, there is great areas for longer shots. All that being said, my standard prone or rested distance, weather off a stump or pack is around 800 yards. I have the necessary data and tools to read wind and make adjustments using a ballistic calculator. But I wonder if I have the right caliber for the job, I have three options. A 7wsm a 7mag and a 300wsm, I also have a 6.5x47 lapua but I think it may be small for big game hunting at longer ranges. What do those of you with experience feel is the best option and what is a realistic range? I prefer to target vitals, high shoulder shots are not my style, bullets used are as follows- 300wsm 185or210vld hunting, 7wsm 139gr Sst, 7mag 168gr vld hunting, all rifles shoot sub moa with the 300 being the best. Thanks for any help, this site is an awesome resource for guys like me just starting out!

If you're consistently hitting an eight inch circle at 800 yards with any of those, it's simply a matter of personal choice. Quite frankly, if you're a hunter it's more about the bullet than the caliber. If the bullet won't take down the game cleanly and humanely at whatever distance you shoot, the caliber of the bullet makes no difference.

The 300 WSM for a couple of reason. First is you said it shoots the best of the 3. Next is, it delivers a larger bullet on target. If you are loading it to fit the mag box on a short action, then you are losing some potential. I would strongly recommend looking at shooting the 215 hybrids over RL17. That would make it a 1000 yd rifle. If the 215 doesn't work for you, go with the 210, also over RL17. I was able to push them comfortably to 2930 out of a 24" barrel. The 215's might even get a little more velocity because of their shorter bearing surface.

It's a toss up between the other 2. I'm not a belted case fan, but the 7 RM will have a little more capacity than the 7 WSM. Also recommend looking at the 168 and 180 VLD's. Retumbo or H1000 for the 7 RM, with Retumbo being my first choice and H1000 for the 7 WSM. I got best velocities with Retumbo in my 7 RM. I have heard RL33 also does well in them as well.

The heavier for cal, higher BC bullets will always be your friend. Trading velocity for mass and BC is a good thing.

I'm in the go with the 300wsm group too with the choices you list.

Put it where it counts and all three can certainly do the job but when all else are equal bigger bullet, better BC's and overall ballistics make it the clear winner.

Another vote for the 300 WSM! As others have already noted, shot placement and enough energy (my unwritten rule - 1500 ft-lbs for elk size and 1000 ft-lbs for deer size game. etc ...) with the right bullet (Berger 210 VLD) at POI (800 yards) are key ... and that includes the follow up shot(s) when necessary.

We all hope for one shot DRT but it does NOT always happen. lightbulb

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts