What is the very best Ultra HD Monocular

AGL4now

What is the very best Ultra HD Monocular, sadly I have macula degeneration in my right eye. I need to purchase a very high quality Monocular. Price not a consideration, I need the best quality.

Thank you for help

Leica Monovid

Agree 100%. The Vortex isn't even close to as good glass. If you need more magnification look at their smaller spotting scopes that can be hand held at lower powers as long as you have something to rest on or against.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. The Vortex isn't even close to as good glass. If you need more magnification look at their smaller spotting scopes that can be hand held at lower powers as long as you have something to rest on or against.

Do you currently own both.......??? Have in the Past owned BOTH.......at the same time....???

Do you currently own both.......??? Have in the Past owned BOTH.......at the same time....???

I own a lot of Leica glass, RFs, Binos, Scopes, spotting scopes and have used Vortex I used to own (have sold all Vortex, own none now) or had access to side by side with their comparable Leica, binos, spotting scopes, and rifle scopes. Vortex was NEVER in their league on any comparison. I have not used the Vortex monocular but I have every confidence their monocular will not be the one exception to every other result.

Feel free to do as you like, you asked for information, I have tried to provide it. Only costs money to make up your own mind. Buy both, resell the one that isn't as good. That is how I learned.

P.S. Just to be clear I sold the Vortex mostly because they kept breaking, not so much due to the quality of their optics. They just weren't reliable enough to use anywhere you couldn't pack a spare. Nothing else I have ever used had their rate of breakage, including a lot of stuff that costs far less than Vortex and most of it I still have. I will spend what it takes to have the best for critical applications but I am not a snob about glass or any gear, I use cheaper stuff in the right applications, as long as it is relaible.

Last edited:
Have one other suggestion for you. The Leica CRF 1600 to 2700 series range finders make excellent 7x monoculars. I am heavily left eye dominant and Leica Geovids display range data only in the right eye piece. I found this a pain in the *** so I went back to the CRF for ranging and a set of Duovids for Binoculars. The CRF is such good glass that 90% of the time I use only them as they are always in my shirt pocket when hunting. Gives you ranging and magnification all in one solution. The only time they are not the right answer is right near dark as the 20 MM objective doesn't gather light near as well as the bigger ones.

I suppose a monocular might be useful in a few specific situations, where size and weight is critical. However, for the majority of situations you are much better off with a good binocular.

In optics, you almost invariably "get what you pay for". I've found a good compromise between decent optical quality, robust construction, and a price I can afford is the Steiner Military/Marine 8/30 binoculars. I've carried a pair for years through my Alaskan adventures, and really like them. Good optics, rubber armor, waterproof, large exit pupil, roll down eyecups for use with glasses, and reasonably light weight.

I suppose a monocular might be useful in a few specific situations, where size and weight is critical. However, for the majority of situations you are much better off with a good binocular.

In optics, you almost invariably "get what you pay for". I've found a good compromise between decent optical quality, robust construction, and a price I can afford is the Steiner Military/Marine 8/30 binoculars. I've carried a pair for years through my Alaskan adventures, and really like them. Good optics, rubber armor, waterproof, large exit pupil, roll down eyecups for use with glasses, and reasonably light weight.

Per the OP's original post, unfortunately he has macular degeneration in his right eye. Binoculars are of no value to him, he will eventually only be able to see well out of his left eye.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts