What is the top state for trophy elk

Wow that's a tough one. I'd have to say AZ or NM for trophy elk. ID, UT, MT,CO and WY all have some great areas. It will be interesting to see the replys.

I'd have to say #1 Arizona, then Utah and New Mexico in a tie for #2. Although it has small herd numbers, Nevada grows some monsters.

While there are a few good units in Colorado for trophy class elk, CP&W manages their herds for quantity/opportunity rather than quality.

Nevada is producing more big bulls per capita than any other state. Unfortunately there are few tags.

Arizona has big bulls in every unit though some units have more big bulls than others and some units are easier to kill big bulls than others. If you're willing to work REALLY hard, you can draw mediocre tags (easier to draw) and still kill a biggun.

1: Nevada
2: Arizona
3: Utah
4: New Mexico
5: Wyoming

Just my opinion.

Nevada is producing more big bulls per capita than any other state. Unfortunately there are few tags.

Arizona has big bulls in every unit though some units have more big bulls than others and some units are easier to kill big bulls than others. If you're willing to work REALLY hard, you can draw mediocre tags (easier to draw) and still kill a biggun.

1: Nevada
2: Arizona
3: Utah
4: New Mexico
5: Wyoming

Just my opinion.

It is AWESOME not to see Idaho in there...........just keep on going to the above states.

Randy

We got some good Elk here in KY also. We have over 10,000 now and with no natural predators and mild winters its only going to get better.

BH7, Arizona Unit 10 followed by Unit 9. I ranked 10 ahead of 9 since 10 is easier to hunt, 9 has a lot more trees and rougher terrain. The genetics are equal in both units which both contain huge bulls. I have been in both every year seeing these monsters. Next would be the Gila National Forrest in New Mexico along with the White Mountains in NE Az. Utah has big bulls, but hunters I know have had big trouble accessing numerous private lands. Just my observation from personal experience. Other states have large numbers, but I can't comment from first hand knowledge.

I know this will get some laughs but the Communist state of California has some tremendous elk hunting for all 3 huntable species. Roosevelt's in the Northwest, Rocky's in Northeast and Tule Elk scattered all throughout the state. Boone and Crockett Book Bulls are available in all units. Now before the bashing starts, tags are about as rare as anywhere else with many years wait before getting one (I've been waiting for 24 years). But the question was asked what is the top state. I believe AZ, UT, and NV have the best available bulls around, however, they manage for quality and not opportunity.

I would have to say that depends solely on any given persons idea of a trophy. To many people any legal bull is considered a trophy, and for many others, the people who are "hardcore" into elk hunting a 360"+ bull is the only trophy. IMHO any bull bigger than a spike taken on a DIY public land hunt is considered a trophy in its own right

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.