What is the Perfect Hunting Scope?

weatherbee

I often read as much as I can on this forum but seldom post. Lot of great input here from everyone.

I'm looking for suggestions for a scope to put on my custom 6.5-300 WBY. The build will be ready in the next few weeks and I want to start developing a load for it. I have narrowed it down to probably the ATACR, Swarovski X5 and the new Kahles. Or if there are other suggestions, I'm open to any and all.

I want a tactical MOA scope that I can dial adjustments on. This rifle/scope will be used on a western hunt for Elk and Mule deer this fall.

Any suggestions or first hand comparisons between these scopes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If it's in the budget the tangent theta tt315m is hard to beat. It checks all the boxes and comes in lighter than the others listed. Everything you listed is a quality piece too, can't go wrong with any of them.

All three scopes you listed are a great choice Nightforce and Swarovski are my top two picks Nightforce nxs is a better hunting scope in my opinion quite a bit lighter than a atacr both great scopes the 4-16 f1 atacr is a great choice also lighter weight then it's big brother but still amazing glass and tons of adjustment!

Those are all great scopes. I have a few Nightforce including the 7-35 ATACR but its heavy. I love the NXS 2.5-10x32 on my .308. I also have three Trijicon accupoints on my AR's that are good too. The Swarovski Z6 has the best glass of all of them but its only marginally better. I've tried a few Zeiss scopes and still own one but the glass just doesn't seem as clear in my opinion. My last two custom builds are sporting Leupolds though. The Mark 5 and the VX6HD are excellent and they are very light weight. The VX6HD even comes with the alumina flip open caps and has a built in reticle level. I also like the new locking turrets for a hunting rifle. Another company to consider would be Schmidt & Bender if price is not an issue.

You said western hunting for deer and elk, to me that means lots of walking up and down mountains. If this is your idea as well then several of those scopes are on the heavy side, like over 3 pounds! The March scopes would be looking good to me if weight would ever become an issue... and money wasn't.

I often read as much as I can on this forum but seldom post. Lot of great input here from everyone.

I'm looking for suggestions for a scope to put on my custom 6.5-300 WBY. The build will be ready in the next few weeks and I want to start developing a load for it. I have narrowed it down to probably the ATACR, Swarovski X5 and the new Kahles. Or if there are other suggestions, I'm open to any and all.

I want a tactical MOA scope that I can dial adjustments on. This rifle/scope will be used on a western hunt for Elk and Mule deer this fall.

Any suggestions or first hand comparisons between these scopes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I have no hands on experience with the scopes you have listed but they are awesome scopes and most would be pleased to have them and I do not think you can go wrong with any of them. The quest for the so called "perfect scope" is relative as each end-users are different with varying requirements.

Your set budget will give you lots of alternative choices. Do you have any preferences, SFP or FFP, magnification, range, weight, reticle, illuminated/non-illuminated, etc? This criteria will help in the recommendation process.

Good luck!

Ed

You said western hunting for deer and elk, to me that means lots of walking up and down mountains. If this is your idea as well then several of those scopes are on the heavy side, like over 3 pounds! The March scopes would be looking good to me if weight would ever become an issue... and money wasn't.

This is often overlooked. Physical conditioning is essential if you want to get to where the elk are.

I'm not sure that there is a perfect hunting scope for all situations. With that being said I think you can purchase a scope that will do well for certain applications. Hunting in timber vs open country etc

I went with a 50/50 type balance on this one. Full carbon build 28 Nosler and an NXS. A sub-7lb rifle and a barely sub 7lb scope. :D

Yes weight is a concern. But we will be horseback.

Have the march 2.5-25x52, think its pretty awesome right now. Also have the Zeiss v6 3-18x50, also good so far. Nightforces dial for sure but are a fair weather scope in my opinion. Hunted with one in the rain my first season of having one and couldn't shoot anything 30yds in front of me after a couple minutes. My brother had his leupold next to me and you could still see easily due to the coatings. I wouldn't buy a leupold either due to they just don't dial.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts