What is the Perfect Hunting Scope?

Leopold offers some good hunting options as there light weight, have great glass and are fairly compact in size. I hunt out west and walk alot of ridges I like a rifle in the 8lb range for hunting.

Wedge. Not sure what hunterlife72 is up to, he made a comment at post 35 of this thread and then contradicted that post at post number 39. On the thread regarding 243 or Creedmoor one of the other members commented that hunterslife72 had coppied a post from a different forum. I noticed on the Sierra Game Changer thread that hunterslife72 made a comment that made me think he is the owner of ballistic studies.com but I don't think he is.

I haven't had a chance to be around a Leupold Mk5HD but would very high on my list on my next build depending on what I was angling to accomplish. Have read and heard great things about them.

It's high on my list for sure (5hd). I've contacted vortex a couple times nagging about a 3-18 AMG

What is with Huntersdlife72 ?
his post are from 4 year old threads again;

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551247

I have reported him twice. I wish this dude would do the world a favor and stop existing.

Anyway, I got the SWFA 3-15x42 FFP, MIL/MIL model and I really like it. Reticle is really clean with alternating dots and diamonds for mil and .5 mil increments. Glass is clear and it tracks spot on. Simple scope that works. Also it comes in a bunch of different models too. MOA, MIL, SFP, FFP....

This is my order of preference because it is what I own in my collection. The order preference is based on glass quality 1st, reliability a very close second and weight third. I compared glass using an unscientific method by looking at wire mesh on quail house at 420yards in low light conditions at high magnification. This is my preference via my eye:
1. Zeiss Diavari
2. Schmidt and Bender (mine are 2+ years old)
3. Swarovski Z6i (If weight is a concern, moves to #1 position), Swarovski X5i
4. Leupold VX6HD (I do not mess with turrets in hunting applications and use holdovers/reticle system) or VX7
5. Nightforce NXS, ATACR
6. Steiner or Trijicon Accupoint
Any new product lines that have been released inside the 12-month mark can not give any feedback. I am at a point that I have optics sitting in idle that I should part with.

Agreed. Have to try and match to needs and go from there. Does make for an interesting discussion though. Plenty of choices out there.

This is my order of preference because it is what I own in my collection. The order preference is based on glass quality 1st, reliability a very close second and weight third. I compared glass using an unscientific method by looking at wire mesh on quail house at 420yards in low light conditions at high magnification. This is my preference via my eye:
1. Zeiss Diavari
2. Schmidt and Bender (mine are 2+ years old)
3. Swarovski Z6i (If weight is a concern, moves to #1 position), Swarovski X5i
4. Leupold VX6HD (I do not mess with turrets in hunting applications and use holdovers/reticle system) or VX7
5. Nightforce NXS, ATACR
6. Steiner or Trijicon Accupoint
Any new product lines that have been released inside the 12-month mark can not give any feedback. I am at a point that I have optics sitting in idle that I should part with.
I would agree...Zeiss glass is very good to my eye too..just wish they had better dial options.

I really like Swarovski Z8 line...super stuff but priced that way too

I would agree...Zeiss glass is very good to my eye too..just wish they had better dial options.

I really like Swarovski Z8 line...super stuff but priced that way too

I like the magnification range on the Z8 lineup but have not had the opportunity to see one up close. I use the Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 and 4-16x50 on my two main 700 action rigs. The Swarovski Z6 eyepiece is too large for minimal bolt clearance and cannot run a cover on eyepiece while cycling the bolt(700 actions). Swarovski works great on the Sako and AR platform. Like someone mention earlier, hard to find a perfect scope for every setup. Gives me a reason to add more toys in the safe!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.