What is the most accurate (DIY home molded) 12 gauge slug at say 50/75/100 yards?

NewB7654

Title pretty much says it all. Im not finding a lot other than lee key 7/8 or 1oz and the lyman 525 gram.
Is that pretty much it? Those 3?
I plan on shooting smooth bore but open to hear actual results and feedback from others that have tested smooth vs rifled vs rifled choke. From what Ive seen (utube) there is not much of a difference for shot grops.
Thanks

I haven't found anything that compares to the Lyman 525 home made slugs, and sure beats the cost of factory sabot slugs. It takes a little futzing to find what it likes but once you do you're golden. I limit my shot to just over 100 yrds cuz these are like flying bricks.
I'm using a Savage 210 rifled slug gun.
I do follow Lymans recommended loads, ie. WWA12 wads ( original ) WWAA hulls, and I do fill the slug base with wax and use a fibre wad between the wad and powder for correct columb height.
here's a 50 yrd group.
bbr7FZz.jpg

100 yrd. off of shooting sticks
PNoOAXw.jpg

100 yrd. off of a lead sled
JSls3cR.jpg

I worked up a VERY ACCURATE slug load out of my scoped Rem 870 super mag 28" barrel with a Remington rifled choke extend choke tube. 50 yards it shoots a ragged hole and at 100 yards would be no problem hitting a pop can.
Load consist of a pure lead 1oz Lee turn key slug, Winchester AA case, Federal 209A primer, Clay Buster WAA12 wad and 35 grs of Hodgdon Long Shot. I have not hunted with it because where I live I don't have to. I just came into the mold and decided to fool with it and some loads. I am sure this would handle anything in north America. I got my pure lead from a roofer who salvaged the lead flashing from around chimneys.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.