What is the max range of my elk hunting load?

What is the max range in yards?

• under 250

Votes: 33 9.6%

Votes: 6 1.7%

Votes: 19 5.5%

Votes: 14 4.1%

Votes: 35 10.1%

Votes: 37 10.7%

Votes: 43 12.5%

Votes: 3 0.9%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 11 3.2%

Votes: 21 6.1%

Votes: 12 3.5%

Votes: 26 7.5%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 4 1.2%

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • over 1000

Votes: 35 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the others about getting a bigger gun, the figures show good energy out to about 500 but I noticed you had altitude/elevation at 10,000. If this is a realistic elevation for you then I guess it works but if you hunt lower put the numbers in there, at sea level you lose a few hundred foot pounds which drops you range considerably.
I think he's being a little unrealistic about the elevation.

Elk at the timberline that time of year isn't likely. They'll tend to be below the snow line and at 10k the snow comes really early.

More realistic elevation is going to be between 6500 and 8500 more often than not.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot an elk with a 25-06. I would use a larger caliber. BUT, since you did ask the question. IF I HAD TO, I would not shoot at an elk further than 400 yards with that set up. Its just too risky. I for one would not like chasing after a wounded elk through that terrain.

IF it were me and knowing that my hunt was around a year away. I would skimp a little through the months and save up and buy a Rem. 700 in 300 win mag and load up some 185 gr Bergers. Or just use about $800 of your $3000 budget and buy it.

I am a huge fan of the 25-06 but I only use it for deer sized game. To each their own. Good luck on your hunt either way.

With a 1 MOA rifle on paper I would limit to 400 yards. Gives yourself a safe margin of error to slip the bullet behind the shoulder and into the lungs.

+1 on a bigger caliber. I know its been said but elk are just plain tough.
And it has also been said that if that is all you have, wait for a perfect shot and keep it at 250 or under. Of course this is just my opinion.
I voted for 250 or under and I would not personally use a 25-06 for elk.

Randy

HarperC,

Thanks to you and all who chimed in with a response. I appreciate the feedback.

To answer your questions...The weights listed on the posted table are called the Optimal Game Weight. This number is calculated throught the online calculator that I used to create this table. You can find this calculator here: External Ballistics Calculator

This number is supposed to represent the max weight of animal that should be taken with the rifle at a particulare range at a particular set of circumstances. Some go by this number. Some go by the rule of 1800+ fps and 1000+ft/lbs. Others go by past experiences. But most importantly I believe that it shouldn't be over simplified. There is a BIG difference in hitting an elk square in the shoulder and expecting complete pass through and hitting just behind the shoulder to acheive double lung without necessarily expecting pass through. In certain senarios I would be happy enough to achieve a 10 sec or less travel on the elks part before death. The exit wound in the case of a double lung shot only helps with tracking, not death. This would take far less velocity/energy than the Optimal Game Weight calculator calls for. Therefore it is a little over simplified and most closely represents the advise that I would give to a complete amiture in the hunting world who has no idea of how a bullet actually kills an animal. I'm certain that a 25-06 is enough to take a mature elk at the closer ranges given the right shot, etc. I also understand that it is not enough if the animal is quartering to and your using a bullet that is going to fragment quickly. There is not a black and white answer here and I knew that coming into this thread. I wanted to sift through all of the advice/experiences from the hunters here who are kind enough to take the time to share it and form an idea of what to expect out of this combo. I understand fully that it is not the ideal rifle for the job.

I chose 10000 feet for altitude because it is a round number. It really doesn't matter what the altitude is that we are all commenting on just so that we are all commenting on the same altitude. I can translate the feedback provided to any altitude (or any set of variables for that matter) by noting the velocity and energy at particular distances. Then the only thing left to do is compute the odds of shot placement based on range and my ability to put the bullet where it belongs.

As far as my experience goes with the 25-06...I've been shooting it since I was 13 as my one and only high power rifle! Haha BUT I'm only 24 years old:rolleyes:. I've done all my hunting in Texas. Nothing bigger than whitetails and hogs.

Incase you haven't figured it out yet I'm not hesitating about anything. I just want to make my shot decisions based on more than feelings and numbers. I wanted to call on the allmighty longrangehunting community to help out an inexperienced elk hunter on his first elk hunt by trying to understand what kinds of results everyone is getting in the field. I've heard some crazy stories and have seen a few myself as far as animals acting outside of the norm once shot. I know that there is no perfect answer. But no advise weighs as much as experience.

I don't have the ability to go on this trip unless I use this rifle, due to finances. So, due to the circumstances, I chose to limit my effective shot range rather than miss the hunt all together. That is the reason I started this thread rather than one called "What rifle should I buy for my first elk hunt?".

I hope this didn't come off as me being defensive because I don't feel offended at all. I just wanted to let everyone in on my circumstances so as to bring some perspective to the thread.

Thanks again to all who participated and all to participate.

PS: I'm not set on this particular bullet for these circumstances. It's just another example of a variable that I set so as to get some straight answers out of this thread. Thanks again!!!

Do a search on "buffalobob" he religiously uses a 257 Whby. As far as I'm concerned what he says is gospel!

He most probably has more credible experience with the 257 cal than most out there.

If you can shoot as well as he, you'll do fine. BTW he can! shoot.

place that bullet exactly where you wish and you'll do fine.

Hmbelsrvent
I don't think you are coming off defensive. My question about experiences was to help answer your question. As to your choice to take what you've got and make it work I respect that.
As far as numbers go your poll says just shy of 50% of folks answered 400-500, and about 2 thirds say under 500 yards.
Having read more about your goal, combined with a little, of your experience, and your stated limited finances (we mostly all started here), if you were coming with me I wouldn't advise buying a bigger rifle. As most of your stated experience is from Texas any extra dollars you have should be spent making **** sure you have the right boots, etc for the Colorado high country. That's not my implying you don't know better, just my experiences of finding guys in levis, windbreaker, and converse tennis shoes, knee deep in snow, shivering and not sure which way the truck is, coming through.
Be safe, have fun, let us know how it came out

Thanks a lot HarperC I appreciate the comments. If you have any advice on equipment/clothing/etc. I have a thread going right with this one called "coloarado elk hunt". I really have a lot to learn in this department. I have never been to Colorado!

kenetrek are currently at the top of my boot list, get their catalogue they also picture clothing and packs. good read even if you choose not to buy their stuff. others have better list than I about what to put in it, but a good pack with enough in it to stay out all night if you have to. I carry highway flares in a sealed plastic bag with a lighter and matches, haven't found very much that won't start with these. you won't starve over night, but dehydration surprises a lot of folks-something to carry and filter h20. the rest is integrating it all into a package you can carry. gps, maps, and compass are also handy. just depends on if your planning to live out of your pack, or just the day. to stress the obvious knives to break an elk into small enough pieces pack out.

Thought you might like to see this, light cal and good bullet placement on a bull.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too shoot 25-06, this is my 2nd one (eventually shot the barrel out of the first one). I voted 450 yds. Reasoning is that I've taken alot of deer/antelope out to about 550 yds with lung shots. All were complete pass throughs and all died very quickly with what appeared to be good bullet performance. I believe a lung shot elk is still a dead elk, even though he may go further than an equally lung shot antelope.

If the country is steep and brush is thick, I would agree with others that a bigger caliber sure would be beneficial. However, that being said; where I hunt is open and I could very likely watch the elk untill he fell over, just like the video showed........that being the case, I vote that a good broadside lung shot will do the trick, and possibly out to 500 if you do your part and put it right in the lungs/heart. I can't say for sure if you'd have an exit wound to bleed and track at that distance though............deer, yes............elk, unknown.

what bullet are you planing on shooting. 257 doesnt have a very good selection of bullets compared to something like a 6.5, 7mm, or 30 cal.
I would lean towards a Barnes solid pushed hard and dont take a shot unless you know you are going to hit where you aim.

What bullets do yall think i should be considering? I know more about the high bc bullets than the deep penetrating bullets. In this situation, it seems that my best bet would be to go with a deep penetrating bullet. The Accubond seems to be a nice balance, but perhaps, as noted earlier, the Barnes TSX and TTSX are the best at penetrating? At these ranges (500 yards and less) the BC probably isn't my biggest concern.

Can anyone add a bullet to the list for my consideration?:

110 Accubond
100 TSX BT
115 TSX FB
100 TTSX BT

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.