What is the fastest cartridge?

QUOTE> 5278?!?!?!?! snap thats fast! Now, is there a round that'll get something in the 300 grain bullet wieght going 5200fps around?

How about this one. gun)-----------------------------------------

Attachments

• LAND_M1A1_Abrams_lg.jpg
    LAND_M1A1_Abrams_lg.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 79
stick a 30gr pill in the 22/06 or better yet a 22/06AI and it will top that for sure,if the 5278fps is in fact true.I have been bouncing back and forth on the 6mm or 22 in the 06 case. I gentleman I spoke with just yesterday said "if you want all you can get from either the 6/06 or 22/06 use the AI method,thats balls to the wall".

I read on the AR forum that the .22-243 Middlestead achieves more than 5000 fps with a very light projectile. I've never heard of anyone using such a rig for hunting, imagine it would be a good coyote load as the bullet would certainly disintegrate inside the critter. I don't imagine barrel life is very good.

You are all wrong. A 378 Weatherly mag necked down to .17 caliber. Using a 19 grain bullet the velocity gets real close to 9,800 fps and the bullet gets to the target before the mirage has a chance to form. :D

joseph

A 22-06AI would merely duplicate the original 220 wby rocket same as the 6-06AI is merely a different way to go about having a 240 wby. I think the original op should have said the fastest round while still maintaining accuracy and a 500 rd barrel life, in this instance the 22-243 Middlestead that was spoke of, is a 3 groove 1:16 twist 28" barreled rifle designed to shoot the 35grn Berger under 1/2 moa at ludacris speeds, yes 5,278fps, but normally 4,850fps.

Well, since this is a LR hunting fourm, what has the HIGHEST RETAINED VELOCITY AT 1500 YARDS.

That would seem like a little more usefull info, based on where we are.

A 22-06AI would merely duplicate the original 220 wby rocket same as the 6-06AI is merely a different way to go about having a 240 wby. I think the original op should have said the fastest round while still maintaining accuracy and a 500 rd barrel life, in this instance the 22-243 Middlestead that was spoke of, is a 3 groove 1:16 twist 28" barreled rifle designed to shoot the 35grn Berger under 1/2 moa at ludacris speeds, yes 5,278fps, but normally 4,850fps.
I love this movie! LOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygE01sOhzz0]Space Balls - Ludicrous Speed - YouTube[/ame]

Fastest cartridge

Bob Hutton wrote in Guns & Ammo I believe in the sixties of around 5300fps with the 22 Eargeschplitten Loudenboomer. Used 50 cal powder first but don't recall him writing about which powder he ended up with. Probably 20mm or even 40mm cannon powder if it fit the case neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts