What is the fastest cartridge?

Hey lets keep it practical. What is the fastest round that is readily available and is not a gimmick? I have not seen anything that has a velocity much over 4000fps that has any practical field use. Keep it real.

I would think that the fastest factory round would be the .223 WSSM @4350 WITH A 40 GR
bullet. and with reloads should exceed 4400 ft/sec.

There are faster wildcats but this is the fastest factory I know about.

J E CUSTOM

well I shoot the factory 22-250 4,000fps ammo at woodchucks, and they work great! for it too, so, I think they are practical, and since they are the cheaper ammo loaded out there a deal too!
I just wouldn't shoot a very hot barrel with them!!
leave cool down time!

While I was working at Nosler a few years back. The ballistician set some sort of record for fasted group ever fired. If I remember right it was 5665? We had some that were registering on the chrono at over 6000 but werent exactly intact when they got to the target. Poor little 40 grain ballistic tips never had a chance. In fact I have the fastest round that made it to the targets case in my tool box still. We were pumping that little 223 wssm full of one of the pistol powders(I cant remember which). We never did ruin the action but the barrel ended up coming out of the action and it resembled a peeled bannana. But backward from the way you would think. The breach end split open. This was all going on when we were testing the nosler custom rifle action for strength. Sorta play time............Man I liked that job. If they could get someone different to run the shop I would move back!

Jason

5278? Out of a 27" bbl....maybe, just a little hard to believe...only 2gr. difference than the .220 Swift load at 5046fps.....that sounds high as well....but without a chronograph and the exact pickings, how can I dispute it? The original factory load for the .220 Swift were advertised at 4100, and that was with a 32gr as well, as far as memory recollects...but as far as commercial cartridges go, looks like the .204 Ruger tops the list....at 4225.

Man I would love to have a job at a bullet manufacture where all I did was test fire. That is my dream job. I just never persued the schooling, because my math ability was very low. gun)YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAA!

all of you guys are idiots not one of you mentioned anything good. dude check out the .223 wssm 4300 fps and you know its gonna be accurate go with a good rifle company and get at least a 24 inch bull barrel or better and you will have an awesome 1000 yrd + rifle in the right hands of course

all of you guys are idiots not one of you mentioned anything good. dude check out the .223 wssm 4300 fps and you know its gonna be accurate go with a good rifle company and get at least a 24 inch bull barrel or better and you will have an awesome 1000 yrd + rifle in the right hands of course

WOW!!! Your like a year behind and all ready trying to make friends. Nice first post! :(

Tank

Hey lets keep it practical. What is the fastest round that is readily available and is not a gimmick? I have not seen anything that has a velocity much over 4000fps that has any practical field use. Keep it real.

The 223 WSSM is one of the fastest factory rounds (Not a wildcat) with loaded ammo,brass
and bullets readily available.

I have loaded mine to 3900 ft/sec with a 64 grain bullet and 4400+ with a 40 grain ballistic tip.

The barrel is a 26" 1 in 15 twist 3 groove.

There are lots of wildcats that will exceed this but this is a factory round.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Im really suprised nobody mentioned the .17 Remington it comes in at 4436 with a 20gr bullet. It is a factory caliber and as far as I can tell from this site it is THE fastest factory round.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts