What is the "difinitive" Elk-Hunting Reference(s)?

I never read a book,my Dad and friends set up elk camps.Go to mountains set tent and start hiking.Think it took me 2 seasons just to see a elk.And when it happened I couldn't believe it and missed:)That was about 35 elk ago. Back in the day Jim Zumbo wrote alot,I followed avid bowhunting guys like Chuck A.He has about 6-8 bulls over 350.Dan Evans trophy taker has arrowed a pile of big bulls 20+ over 300,lots over 350.

Although I have learned some from reading, I do not agree with most of what I read. The reason is I believe that every drainage, in every valley, in every area, in every state, has a different way to hunt, different levels of pressured elk, and mostly I do not believe any two hunter hunt the same way.

Spend every chance you can with elk, all year long, observing, listening, spooking, trailing and mostly respecting.

Just curious what book or books the guys that have been Elk hunting for years respect?

The book of experience... there are a lot of self proclaimed experts like Mike eastman, Jim Zumbo etc... but They are both just old guys who think they know their stuff, who in my opinion know very little. I would read posts in the elk hunting forum here on LRH.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll keep up with the great articles on LRH, and Elk Nut, RMEF as mentioned until I can take the field in spring. My time in the hills will most likely exceed the desires of the family this year and next, but as many have said, it's the only way to put it all together. My goal is to do exactly what Rooster said (with some research and homework beforehand). Just hope the home front buys in at least a little.

Chris

As was stated above there is know substitute for experience, but The Elk Mystique by Mike Lapinski has tons of information in it. It is not about hunting elk, it is about Elk. My dad had me read it when I turned twelve, and even now many elk later, I find myself re-reading it and picking up little pits and pieces. Good Luck.

It is not about hunting elk, it is about Elk. My dad had me read it when I turned twelve, and even now many elk later, I find myself re-reading it and picking up little pits and pieces. Good Luck.

That sounds like my kind of book. Thanks, I'll look that one up.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.