What is the Difference?

Hirschi1

Folks, what is the difference between the 6.5x284 Win, 6.5x284 Norma, and the 6.5x284 Lapua?:rolleyes:

Lapua brass is designated as 6.5x284 Norma, not 6.5x284 Lapua.

The Winchester designation may have originated from the 284 Win brass which was used to develop the round.

I have read that the 6.5x284 Norma chamber has a longer throat to accommodate heavier/longer bullets.

So in short. If I have a rifle chambered in the 6.5x 284 Win I could use the norma, or lapua brass?

So in short. If I have a rifle chambered in the 6.5x 284 Win I could use the norma, or lapua brass?
To clarify, the 6.5x284 Norma is the cartridge name, not the brand of brass.
Winchester make 284 brass, easily reformed, both Norma and Lapua make 6.5x284 Norma brass, it is identical except for who makes it.
What Buttermilk said is correct.

Cheers.
lightbulb

To clarify, the 6.5x284 Norma is the cartridge name, not the brand of brass.
Winchester make 284 brass, easily reformed, both Norma and Lapua make 6.5x284 Norma brass, it is identical except for who makes it.
What Buttermilk said is correct.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Yes, you can use the necked down Winchester brass. What Buttermilk refers to about the throat difference is reflected in the chambering of the rifle that allows the bullet to be seated further out before it contacts the lands. The standard COAL of a 284 Winchester round is 2.8". This is basically a cartridge that was originally planned to be used in a short action. Unfortunately, the heavier/longer 140gr VLD's extend too far into the case, taking up powder space in short actions. The 6'5x284 Norma chambering takes full advantage of the case capacity and is best served with a long action which allows magazine feeding of the longer COAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.