What is the consensus on overtravel?

FURMAN

I have always run minimal overtravel but just recently stumbled onto the article on this forum about max overtravel for smaller groups long range. Who has experience with both and how do you feel about each?

While I generally like my triggers set with minimum overtravel, I also do a lot of precision shooting with AR's that inherently have greater overtravel. I personally have no problem maintaining small groups with either. I do think increased overtravel could mask poor trigger technique with follow through, particularly with heavier poundage trigger settings. I do have an issue with the comment "....smaller groups long range.". Once the bullet has left the barrel, your done, regarless of range. IMO.

Out of the typical adjustments associated with triggers, i personally am probably least sensitive to overtravel.

On a pistol excessive overtravel will bother me a little more but i still arent as concerned about it as long as the trigger doesnt have a mile of travel and feels pretty crisp.

I can shoot better with relatively high travel and over travel. With this, I actually do not like jewel triggers, but prefer Bix & Andy or Anschutz 2-stage. I use light pull with any(a few ounces).

I guess where there isn't any travel(jewel), in my mind every pull seems more like a jab.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts